Well crap...MBR fun, help me out

JohnnyNapalm

[H]ard|Gawd
Decided to test out Ubuntu 8.04 on a spare partition a few months ago...now that I'm done with my experiment, I wanted to blow it away and reclaim the space as an NTFS partition.

Trouble is, I've installed Vista's Service Pack 1 in the meantime. Now, when I boot from the Vista RTM dvd (to try to run the MRB fixer utility), I get a "Unsupported OS version" error. This makes sense; obviously RTM doesn't know about SP1.

I even tried to slipstream it, but wound up with a 4.9 gig image (too big to burn).

Any thoughts? Of course reinstalling Vista would fix all of this, but I really don't feel like going down that road.

Opening up disk management in Vista, erasing the Ubuntu partition, then expanding the Vista partition doesnt work?

I suppose I could, but wouldn't that totally mess up GRUB and screw the MBR up, causing Vista not to boot any more?

Decided to test out Ubuntu 8.04 on a spare partition a few months ago...now that I'm done with my experiment, I wanted to blow it away and reclaim the space as an NTFS partition.

Trouble is, I've installed Vista's Service Pack 1 in the meantime. Now, when I boot from the Vista RTM dvd (to try to run the MRB fixer utility), I get a "Unsupported OS version" error. This makes sense; obviously RTM doesn't know about SP1.

I even tried to slipstream it, but wound up with a 4.9 gig image (too big to burn).

Any thoughts? Of course reinstalling Vista would fix all of this, but I really don't feel like going down that road.

How did you slipstream SP1 into the Vista DVD? Have you tried using vlite?

I would use EasyBCD to restore the Vista bootloader, and then just do what I said above. You don't have to worry about GRUB.

Back