well after avg started their mess I changed to ms security tools

sparks

2[H]4U
they were both free and I gave it a shot last year when avg free started its mess of dropping games to the background over and over.

well anyway I have a problem with it now

I am very confused as to the point of this post. What problem are you having? :confused:

I'm assuming "dropping games to the background over and over" means AVG was taking focus from other applications when it should not be.

i'm confused as well. I've used AVG for years on many different systems/setups with no issues. I even recommend it to friends and family so they dont have to buy a bloated program like Norton.

Good move. AVG has not done well in antivirus comparison tests for quite a few years now, and I clean many PCs of malware that are protected by AVG, so I see it fail all the time. It's become a heavy product also. Not to mention the nags to upgrade to the pro product.

MSE has done very well in comparison tests, it's rather light on your system, and in my personal experience of using it, I've seen just how much better it is, it's the product I use now for home users. Simple interface, runs quietly in the background doing its job, and no nags.

Good move!

what happened I don't know...don't see the rest of my post

anyway I changed in october of last year.
I have had regclean installed for 2 years now.
on the update tuesday microsoft decided to remove this program.
NO warnings or messages or anything.

I looked and its icon could not longer find the source.
So I check and for my protection we have removed this software to prevent possible future trouble.

WTF AND WTF

Its a paid for commercial program. NOW if it was a virus or spyware or something it should have screamed and shouted and said RED FLAG LOOK LOOK LOOK

no it just removed it and it decided WHAT????

This kinda expresses how I feel right now.

borderlands+cover.jpg

what happened I don't know...don't see the rest of my post

anyway I changed in october of last year.
I have had regclean installed for 2 years now.
on the update tuesday microsoft decided to remove this program.
NO warnings or messages or anything.

I looked and its icon could not longer find the source.
So I check and for my protection we have removed this software to prevent possible future trouble.

WTF AND WTF

Its a paid for commercial program. NOW if it was a virus or spyware or something it should have screamed and shouted and said RED FLAG LOOK LOOK LOOK

no it just removed it and it decided WHAT????

Open MS Security Essentials, go to Settings, go to Default Actions, change Recommended Actions to Quarantine. That way you will be able to browse your quarantine folder and retrieve that your Anti-virus thought was a bad file.

But in my experience, you will be prompted first if you have a virus in your computer. If your files are disappearing, you have other problems.

And please try to be more coherent when asking us for help. I had to read your post literally 20 times to figure out what you're trying to say, and I'm still not sure.

the thing is it just removed the files and in the log it says these were removed because they might cause a problem in the future.
NOTHING about a virus or malicious files or anything like that.

thank you for the tip on change Recommended Actions to Quarantine
I think I am going avast or something else besides this.
removing files because it was determined that it might cause problems with no virus or malware warnings or anything to say what or why is bs.

MSE is very low with false positives. You'll find Avast heavier on your system. Ultimately what actions are taken when a file is suspect..it's up to what you have in your settings, regardless of AV brand.

Googling for "RegClean" and "RegClean malware" gets interesting results. There seems to be a lot of confusion about the issue, but I gather there is an older Microsoft version of Regclean from the late 1990s, a commercial version of RegClean of questionable value, and a malware version of RegClean which may or may not have anything to do with the commercial version.

In the last week I have cleaned three PCs at work that MSE was unable to remove or even detect some infected files in the systems, but AVG was able to successfully detect and remove them. All three systems were infected w/ variants of fake AVs.

I'm a fan of MSE for general use, as it is noticably lighter on your system than AVG, but for real system cleaning AVG is beating MSE in real world situations for me.

This past week a user where I work was infected with Internet Security and MSE was unable to clean it fully. A week before that, I had another PC for a side job that was infected and Malwarebytes missed everything too. We all know how good that product is. 4 days later the definitions were updated again and scanned and the item was removed.

The bottom line is, no product is going to be 'ahead of the game' in regards to Malware. I fully trust MSE.

Yup, I remember that tool from back in the Win9X days..had an icon of a red cross, Microsofts own registry cleaning utility.

Yep.. I believe it's worse than useless today though, and ends up breaking things (particularly Office). So if that was the program deleted, I wouldn't be incredibly surprised.

Yep.. I believe it's worse than useless today though, and ends up breaking things.

More than likely useless for most of us today, I don't have any Win9X computers I'm in charge of..haven't for years.

Now...CableDude though..... :p

The OP said "Its a paid for commercial program." so it's probably the one you can buy online. The vendor of that program looks a little shady to me, but that may just be since there are such good free solutions for registry cleaners available, like the one included in CCleaner, that I question anybody selling one.

If MSE is detecting RegCleaner as malware, I would trust MSE more than RegCleaner.

For some strange reason AVG stopped updating for me. I reinstalled it and it worked ok for about a week then started acting up again. I got rid of it a few years back.

Been using ThreatFire for awhile now.

You realize Threatfire is NOT a full blown AV and should be used alongside something else?

they were both free and I gave it a shot last year when avg free started its mess of dropping games to the background over and over.

well anyway I have a problem with it now

The real problem here is that you're running AVG. Remove it and install MSE instead, then ask us again.

I am happy to investigate this report:

Can you go to hklm\software\microsoft\removal tools\mrt and post the GUID from the registry?

I can then investigate what we detected and why.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Back