Welcome Chilly

HighYield

Gawd
I started a new thread for you so we didn't get off topic in the 500 GPU countdown thread.

From Chilly:
Chilly has added a 8800 Ultra, Not bad as a way to start folding for my first time

I've never done this, can I still add more clients to my computer? I run a quad core 3.2GHz Q6600 with 4GB of ram

Welcome to the team! That's a great way to start folding with an 8800 ultra. You'll get more ppd than most of us did when we first started. There are 2 things to do to increase your production. The easiest is to overclock your shaders on the 8800 Ultra (this doesn't result in a big temp increase on your card relative to overclocking the core. Also overclocking the core and memory do little to improve folding performance. You could expect an extra 500-1000 ppd just by the gpu overclock...you could be getting around 5200-5500 ppd with that card without much work on your part.

This tool makes it easy to OC your card.
http://www.evga.com/articles/405.asp

The second thing you can do to increase your production is to also run the SMP folding client that will put your Q6600 to work as well netting you 2000+ppd in addition to what your card is putting out. The SMP client that you want to run is the Folding@Home Client Version 5.91beta6. If you are running vista remember to turn off UAC when you install the smp client (you can turn it back on when you are done)

Boy, Do I ever feel loved :) I didn't even get my own thread/this much attention on my birthday :p

So how many SMP clients, just 1? I saw and downloaded FahMon, seems like a great little tool for keeping all my clients (on this PC or elsewhere) in check. I'm assuming that I should use the smp client for anything with more than 1 core? am I assuming correct?

I'm gonna go play with the Ultra's clocks now.

Thanks for all the help guys in getting me set up :)

I would use just one for starters.

After you get comfy with some of the programs and you feel up to it you can start playing with VMs. (I'm still not there)

Welcome! And grab your badge!

Welcome and be very careful this is addictive!

Welcome, it's the first step to the addiction madness ;)

Welcome aboard Chilly! Glad to have you folding with us.

Welcome Chilly, if you have any question even remotely concerning folding or computers one of the generous and knowledgeable members will be glad to answer it :D

FOLD ON

Welcome.
I would just start with only one plain SMP client running along side the GPU client.
Once you get fully addicted then you can think about maximizing your PpD.
Run 2x SMP client with Affinity Changer.
Its possible by running the Linux client inside a VM to get a better average PpD out of the SMP client.

Luck ............ :D

It sounds like you are on the right track here Chilly. Keep it up. It will be a while before you mow me over, but I better get going if I want to prevent it.

Back