Welcome Back. What did you buy?

CentronMe

2[H]4U
I just wanted to say a big hello to everyone here in the Apple Forum.

So what did you pick up during the forum outage?

Each year thousands of amateur radio operators make the trek to Dayton Ohio fo the annual Hamvention. While I was planning on picking up some Amateur TV gear, I came across this and blew my small wad of cach on it.

Apple Macintosh Blue and White G3
450MHz G3 w/ 1MB Cache
256MB PC100 RAM
9.1GB Atlas III SCSI Drive
Adaptec 2940 SCSI Card
ATI Rage 128 PCI Card
24X CD-ROM Drive
100MB Zip Drive

I walked away with the machine $225 less in my wallet, out of the $250 I had in it. I could not buy anything else for the weekend but I thought it was a good price.

Now for my question. I need a cheap ATA100 card for it. I am going to rip out the SCSI stuff and use a nice quiet 40GB Seagate Baracuda IV drive. I already bumped up the RAM to 512MB for I am all ready for Panther in that regards. The powersupply fan is getting replaces with a L1A Panaflo. Should make for a nice queit box. :)

That's a rather nice price, isn't it? :D

I've bought, as of yet, absolutely nothing... I'll buy the cheapest dual G5 I can find when the new ones are released (and probably live on ramen for a few years because of it, but I don't mind much), along with a ADB -> USB adapter for my lovely Apple Extended II keyboard. :p

Anyhoo.... welcome back everyone! :D
Great to see [H] again!

I picked up a 450MHz/320MB/20GB Power Mac G4 Cube from eBay for a Buy It Now price of $400 and a very reasonable $20 for UPS Ground shipping.

Mmmm... It shall be sexy. :D

I bought a new HVAC unit for my house :D it was central heat but one of those little dinky wall mounts AC units...as far as computer stuff...nothing :( I am poor due to a boat and remodel ;)

I bought a Silver IPOD mini from American TV & Appliance along with the FM transmitter so I can listen to it in my car. Its so fucking sweet.

Well I tried placing a purchase or 2 through Gigglebyte but the customer was breathing down my neck and wanted it now and the bum wasn't answering his phone so I couldn't wait for a call back and had to place it then, oh well, unforunately nothing for me :(.

:( when was this? I did have Friday and Monday off and you should know to e-mail me as I usually don't answer my phone

Hay gigglebyte, can you help me out a bit on my origional question?

What is a good yet cheap ATA100 card?

I've been pondering an iBook for a while, even though I tried a PowerBook 15" back in February and ended up hating it...it just felt too fragile. The iBooks seem more rugged than the PowerBooks. I'm Windows through-and-through, but for wireless surfing/mail/etc., I just want an OS X laptop. I like the interface, and the PowerBook I tried connected immediately to my wi-fi router with zero configuration time. Quite enjoyable.

Well maybe you should answer your phone :p. It was 2 Friday's ago, like I said they weren't exactly very patient so I really couldn't wait for a email response, no big deal it was only a couple components. In a few days I should be helping a guy buy a G5 so that will definitely go thorugh you.

well, i picked up a AP extreme card for my iBook G4.. finally it goes wireless.. whew..

opps, also a new SonyEX71SL headphone for my iPod,
the orginial one start falling apart(along with the remote), and yet thats a very good headphone with sound quality. plus it comes with white colour..

CentronMe said:
Hay gigglebyte, can you help me out a bit on my origional question?

What is a good yet cheap ATA100 card?

that is going to be a tough one...I would check one of the aftermarket sites that sell to Mac and the only one I can think of off the top of my head is www.poweron.com but don't know what they have

Instigator...I answer e-mail as soon as it gets in cause I get this big red 1 on my dock and I don't like that ;) and no worries...just let me know what ya want

I just got a new 20" iMac during the outage, it's now my main machine!

1GB Corsair XMS PC3200 and Antec TrueControl 550W PSU, of course it's for my PC though :D, Radeon x800 should be on its way soon, hehehe.

During the [H] outage...

iBook G4, Airport Extreme Card

And because of the outage, I got hooked on the Xbox-Scene forums and ended up buying an Xbox and a mod chip.

Periodical forum outages feed the economy. No, really!

miazmaticdotcom said:
During the [H] outage...

iBook G4, Airport Extreme Card

And because of the outage, I got hooked on the Xbox-Scene forums and ended up buying an Xbox and a mod chip.

Periodical forum outages feed the economy. No, really!

You sir, have been quoted. :p

I bought a used G4 Sawtooth AGP 400mhz for 325 dollars. My first Mac, although not the first one I've used.

Got Panther running on it, and have added the following:
WD 40gig 400JB hdd, 1gig ram, Radeon 8500 flashed PC card, Zip 250, replaced the powersupply fan with one I had lying around .15A vs .30A, but I swear it's just as loud, and acquired a Philips 18inch LCD (free).

So far the only issue has been waking from sleep, but I've freakin given up on that.

SteveOne said:
Mini Silver iPod :rolleyes:

Dont you love it.. I just got one too. The FM transmitter which sends a signal to your cars stereo is a nice addition. I simply pass around my mini IPOD when I have friends in my car and they pick what they wanna play!

well I might be getting my hands on a G4 Cube 450 or 500...don't know which one it is but we have 4 going up for sale here at our site auction :D I am going to see about getting 2 and selling one on e-Bay as they are hot little items right now...out of all the things they have this time around that is about the only thing I want and would set it up as a bittorrent server and take the load off my main system

well the Cube isn't going to happen....I am in the last group to pick and they only have 4 for sale...they will be gone WAY before I even see the door...oh well :(

Instigator said:
But, what if they only end up having 3 for sale? ;)

hhuummm lets think about this...I am in the last group in and if they have FEWER than expected do you think my chances will get any better?? like I said..no biggie :D

GB, you completely missed my point, I was implying that what if one of them disappeared before the sale :D. DUH

sorry...just got done digging my brain out with a dull spoon on my last call and it totally missed me....as for it getting "lost" unfortunately I don't know where they are being stored and there are usually security people at the exits that check you out :eek:

well I almost got a G3 B&W 400 w/320Meg a 40 and 80 Gig HD, Zip drive and SuperDrive, new keyboard, mouse and 10.3 all for $100 but didn't really have the room for it...a friend of mine got that machine and decided to buy me lunch instead :D

I once found a Yosemite for sale in an.. *ahem*... less than legal store. They seemed to only carry stolen goods, basically. Cordless phones by the barrel, not a single base station, stuff like that.

400MHz, ZIP, the works... cost like $300. :eek:

Appleseed said:
17" iMac and a 14.1" iBook, ordering a 12" Powerbook in 2 weeks :D

Ok change of plans, I have a buyer for the iMac so once I sell that I decided to get the 12" iBook instead, I like the casing better and battery life :) Then I can add an 8x external DVD-burner that all the computers can share.

Back