Weird Win 10 Pro driver issues for X370

wuzupfoo

Limp Gawd
My weekend build turned into a mini nightmare but I think I may know why and hopefully my story can help anyone else dealing with this.

So after the intial clean install everything works fine. I even did a bit of overclocking testing on a raw system. However as soon as I installed the included drivers (off Asus' website) things became very unstable. This was with my Asus X370 Pro board. I would get "irql_not_less_or_equal" BSOD and it would crash. Or I would also get "memory_management" messages also with a BSOD.

I tested the memory with memtest and it came up clean so I knew it wasnt that. Then led me to replace the mobo with my current one thinking the mobo was buggy and the same problem came up after I installed MSI's drivers (off the CD).

I finally have it stable but basically I did not install any drivers and let MS update it. So all drivers were updated via the MS service built into the Device Manager. Now the system seems content but just wanted to flag this issue for reference to anyone else experiencing weird errors coming off a fresh windows install for their Ryzen system.

I didnt have time to submit the crash dump which I want to do eventually to get to the bottom of this because the driver package included multiple things including the chipset, networking and audio. So could be any one of those. or none and Im completely off in my speculation. I could also be an isolated case because I am migrating my old hard drives but just wanted to throw this out there.

Now to make sure this is relevant to the forum. I did get a solid 3.9 Ghz (handbrake stable 2 hours) before backing off and calling it a night. Still cant get memory to run past the default 2133 setting but Im just happy to have a running system. Im using 3200 TridentZ 2x16 for reference.

Last edited:
I had similar issues with USB devices until I installed the Asmedia drivers. Problem is -- wifi adapter is USB so I couldn't download updates from MS. Had to copy driver installers from other PC.

Is it the tridentZ 3200c16? If so you need VSOC= 1.1, 1.35 vdimm, and 1.35 Vboot, and it will run at 2666 for now. At least under the 0902 bios on the Crosshair. There may not be a Prime equivalent yet.

I let windows roll with drivers. I never installed any drivers if device manager shows everything looking good.

I let windows roll with drivers. I never installed any drivers if device manager shows everything looking good.
yea lesson learned on drivers. Granted I never had so much trouble before on other builds in the past but granted they were on much more established platforms. First time on the bleeding edge so I guess it just goes with the territory.

Not that it matters now that its up and running but I also narrowed it down to the Network, USB, or Audio driver.

I had similar issues with USB devices until I installed the Asmedia drivers. Problem is -- wifi adapter is USB so I couldn't download updates from MS. Had to copy driver installers from other PC.
Is it the tridentZ 3200c16? If so you need VSOC= 1.1, 1.35 vdimm, and 1.35 Vboot, and it will run at 2666 for now. At least under the 0902 bios on the Crosshair. There maynot be a Prime equivalent yet.
Yes thats the RAM Im using. I unfortunately switched to the MSI Carbon (it was the board I wanted all along and it was in stock when I went to exchange my Asus Pro). Probably not going to work on my MSI but never hurts to try.

bump your ram voltage 10% see if it helps
Didnt want to increase voltage beyond 1.35v when I tried last time. Mostly a time issue since I was up late on Sunday trying to make sure it was stable. Will try to deal with the RAM this weekend when I have time to tinker.

That RAM will likely not work on any other boards past 2133 because it's dual rank and hynix. ASUS seems to be on top of the issues and working hard on bios updates, at least for my CH6. That's why I cancelled my preorder for the Gaming 5 and ordered the CH6

That RAM will likely not work on any other boards past 2133 because it's dual rank and hynix. ASUS seems to be on top of the issues and working hard on bios updates, at least for my CH6. That's why I cancelled my preorder for the Gaming 5 and ordered the CH6

I had no clue... well thanks for enlightening me! At least you are helping manage my expectations but im a bit annoyed to say the least. The last thing I want to do is buy new ram or a new mobo... am I asking too much to have it just work?!

Last edited:
I had no clue... well thanks for enlightening me! At least you are helping manage my expectations but im a bit annoyed to say the least. The last thing I want to do is buy new ram or a new mobo... am I asking too much to have it just work?!

You are. Its a new cpu platform, with a new chipset , and it's within the first month. People rightfully call early adopters "beta testers" for a reason. :p

It just works... at 2133. :)

It's all about the research. I was fortunate that mainboards were delayed a week past the CPU launch because it gave me time to read some details about RAM support and the CH6 Hero support thread on OCN.

Egg had discounted that set to $185 so I snapped it up, knowing full well that it likely wouldn't run at full speed. It's OK though, I'm not paying 300+ for 32 GB of RAM considering I paid 180 for 32GB DDR3 almost 4 years ago.

You are. Its a new cpu platform, with a new chipset , and it's within the first month. People rightfully call early adopters "beta testers" for a reason. :p

Yea totally. Im being a bit ridiculous of course and I must say I underestimated the issues I would have. Otherwise I wouldnt have swapped out my main system and wouldve gotten a second case to have this on the side to tinker with while I wait for the platform to mature. Lesson learned..

It just works... at 2133. :)

It's all about the research. I was fortunate that mainboards were delayed a week past the CPU launch because it gave me time to read some details about RAM support and the CH6 Hero support thread on OCN.

Egg had discounted that set to $185 so I snapped it up, knowing full well that it likely wouldn't run at full speed. It's OK though, I'm not paying 300+ for 32 GB of RAM considering I paid 180 for 32GB DDR3 almost 4 years ago.

I did not do research which was my downfall. I assumed.. plus I when I put the list of components together I was actually preparing for a Kaby Lake purchase but got caught up in the release hype and jumped on this when I saw my local Microcenter actually had mobos for sale. So this was kind of an impulse decision. In hindsight its so obvious this is exactly what I would get myself into but at the time I was just excited to get something other than a mainstream i7.

Back