Weird WI-fi issue with vista

ppilot

Weaksauce
So my roommate just bought a Fry's built computer a week ago and it has windows home premium on it. We initially set it up over a friends house who has wireless connection with no password (yeah I told them that is stupid). Immediately we were able to connect up and start playing world of warcraft with no problems.

Today he brought home his computer and tried to set it up in his room. For some reason though he cannot connect up to our network (which is password protected). I am not very familiar with Vista so I am not sure if there is something stupid I was missing. We are using a netgear wrt54g as router and he is using a wt311 adapter. He computer can see the network but every time it connects it gets the "Limited or no connectivity" message. One thing I noticed was that after I entered in the password to connect to the network, the number of characters listed in the password screen is different than the amount in the actual password. Is that a security measure or is there something wrong with that?

Thanks for the help

not sure about the problem, do you have mac filtering turned on in the router?
but the different number of characters showing in the password after you enter it is a security feature.

You're probably not entering in the right password for the WiFi. Log into your router and change the password to something else and then try it. That's the most common problem I see.

encryption keys maybe different. Make sure the network card and the routers match.

You're probably not entering in the right password for the WiFi. Log into your router and change the password to something else and then try it. That's the most common problem I see.

Yeah I thought that too, but my desktop, laptop, and his laptop can connect with no problems.I tried messing around with the settings on the router and my computer, which worked (resetting the password) and still nothing worked.

By the way I am not a big fan on the new Vista Interface and how it asks you everytime you do something to see if you are sure you want to do it.

I have Xp Sp2 and Vista ultimate dual booting on my main rig, i can conect and and share folders on xp but on vista its very rare to work,on vista i can conect to other open wireles networks but never to my own, i have a netgear 614v5 wirelles hub. ihave been doing some research on this and conflicts btwen vista and xp networks is very comon :(

I have Vista Ultimate running on my desktop, and XP SP2 on my laptop, and so far have had no problems. When I installed Vista, I just let it do its thing and it was up and running. I'm not quite sure what the settings should be...

I started out with a Netgear wgr614 v6, but just changed to a Buffalo WHR-G54s loaded with tomato firmware today, and so far it's all workin. Though I can't comment about connectin to my XP SP2 laptop from my Vista desktop since I never have anything shared on my laptop, connecting from my laptop to my desktop works better than it ever did than when I had XP SP2 on my desktop too.

-edit-
Oh sorry you're trying to connect wirelessly from your Vista computer, my Vista desktop is wired, though my XP SP2 laptop is wireless. However, the family computer downstairs running Windows ME with a netgear wireless usb adapter works quite well, as well as my nintendo DS and PS3, so not really sure what the problem in Vista could be.

I have Xp Sp2 and Vista ultimate dual booting on my main rig, i can conect and and share folders on xp but on vista its very rare to work,on vista i can conect to other open wireless networks but never to my own, i have a netgear 614v5 wirelles hub. ihave been doing some research on this and conflicts btwen vista and xp networks is very comon :(

Ughhh. I told him he should have waited before buying a computer without me there. Anyway , something I noticed was that the activity light on the card itself, rhythmically blink on and off in one second intervals. Does this mean anything? Probably not but I am just about ready to buy an oem XP and call it good.

Oh, the netgear wireless management program that installs does not open at all. Just thought I would throw that our there as well. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail

Back