Weird visual issue in Skyrim

Maplehamwich

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm running the following system:
i7 2600k (stock for now)
8gb DDR3 (stock)
Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3
HIS AMD Radeon HD 6870 1gb (stock)

I'm getting an odd visual error in Skyrim when I apply Anti Aliasing at any level (FXAA on or off). It runs fine at it's current settings (Ultra, 1680x1050) with AA off. The problem only occurs when AA is enable, at any level. So I did a quick google search, and with the terminology I used I couldn't find anything. So I'm wondering if you guys know the issue.

I've just updated my drivers to Catalyst 12.2, but I hadn't run AA before the driver update, so I'm not sure if it's the culprit.

Here's a screenshot.
SkyrimError.jpg

Looks like GPU artifacting to me. What temps is your GPU running at? Is it new or have you had it for a while? Do you see this in any other games? Are the artifacts in the screenshot consistent or do they flash in and out?

The GPU runs around 70 Celsius and the errors shimmer, and some stay constant while others disappear and re-appear. In game it looks like where the blue block is, the object behind it disappeared. Or in the case of the fog on the mountain, the fog is being overlaid with the color of the mountain behind it. The game also runs smooth, usually no lower than 50fps, Ultra Settings, 8xAA, FXAA, 16x Aniso, 1680x1050. With AA off it runs around 90-100fps.

Tough to say, the only thing id suggest is testing in other games as well so you can see if its an issue with the video card or just that game. That will tell you if its the video card itself or something else.

Is your skyrim up to date? Video card drivers up to date?

I play skyrim too and I get lots of weird visual glitches running around the world sometimes and it happens to different video cards so it is definitely not the video card. I just think its a combination of video card drivers and skyrim being skyrim.

Try going to 12.1 and see what happens. On my 5870s I get similar things also on skyrim. When I went back to 12.1 it went away.

Did the same thing for me in SWTOR also.

KNOWN ISSUES

Known issues under the Windows 7 operating system

The following section provides a summary of open issues that may be experienced under the Windows 7 operating system in the latest version of AMD Catalyst. These include:

Alan Wake - Enabling CrossfireX can cause corruptions or hangs. This issue will be fixed in AMD Catalyst 12.3
Elder Scrolls - Image corruption can be be seen with Anti-Aliasing enabled on speciic AMD graphics hardware. This issue will be fixed in AMD Catalyst 12.3
Vsync may be disabled after task switching when playing Rage.
A black screen may be displayed when running Civilization V in certain Eyefinity configurations.
Playing Far Cry 2 at high in game settings may generate a system hang.
Poor performance may be experience when playing Dirt 3 in DirectX 11 mode at low resolutions with Crossfire enabled.

tldr: known issue.

KNOWN ISSUES

Elder Scrolls - Image corruption can be be seen with Anti-Aliasing enabled on speciic AMD graphics hardware. This issue will be fixed in AMD Catalyst 12.3

tldr: known issue.

Was thinking I had a problem with one of my 6950s. Thanks for the info.

I just updated from 12.1 to 12.3 and the problem from the first post just showed up for me (im playing on a hd 5750 and only have the problem only with AA on like the first post)
looks like they didn't fix it with 12.3

Back