Weird vista + dual monitor problem

Sayte

n00b
I'm having an incredibly weird problem with framerates.

Machine:
Vista Ultimate x64
Asus P6T v2 Deluxe (latest bios)
4 GB DDR3 (dual channel setup atm)
Intel i7 920
dual 9800GTX+ GPUs w/ 190.62 drivers

Problem
I run EVE-Online in two clients, windowed mode. I run one per monitor. This machine is beasty enough to run both premium clients at 60FPS constant (EVE limit) with no problems, however it is exhibiting very odd behavior. It will run both at 60 for a bit, then inevitably slow both down to 1/2 speed. If I minimize one, the other goes back to 60. With both up again, it will immediately drop. The WEIRD thing is that if I have both up, and put a NEW window (notepad, anything) over one of the clients, and then HOLD the mouse down on the title bar -- both clients immediately push up to 60FPS and stay there. As long as I have the mouse clicked (held down) on notepad and move it around, the two EVE clients go to full speed. If I left go, they drop.

I've tried this in SLI, non-SLI, multimonitor performance. The other odd thing about it is that if I let both clients just sit there and run at 30 for a while, about every 5 seconds they push up to 60 fps and then immediately drop back down.

This isn't a performance issue--the pc can handle everything w/ many cycles to spare... so this is just killing me. Any help is appreciated.

Is it possible that the two Eve clients are interfering with one another? I am assuming that one just one Eve client doesn't exhibit odd behavior correct?

I'm not sure what exactly is going on with your setup, but it may be that windows is (or the game) is doing some weird thing with which video card it assigns to render what.

Sli should be disabled (correct me if i'm wrong, sli doesn't work in windowed mode anyways...)

First make sure it's not something obvious (anti virus fires up in the background, cpu usage spikes up for no reason... etc)

I would try playing around with how your monitors are plugged in . Specificaly, i would attempt to plug each monitor into its own video card, or if that's already the case, trying something else. See if anything changes.

i've played around with 2 instances of rthdribl on 2 monitors and 2 video cards before, its amusing finding all the different combinations of how windows can render 2 scenes and how the framerate is affected by all the different combos. But i've never had an issue with a program radically changing framerate halfway through though, so i'm not sure.

Until a more permanent fix, I'd mark your monitors with stickies, or just try to remember which is feeding on which graphics card. Give three monitors a try, and see if it still has issues, keeping the clients on two different cards.

Like this-

Monitor A + Monitor B on Graphics card A- Client 1
Monitor C on Graphics card B- Client 2

It may solve it?

OK, so it's not fixed. I still have the same issue. It just starts out running both clients at full speed (60+fps) for a bit, then drops. There aren't any programs spiking, that I can tell, so this is really confusing.

Back