• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

weird viewing angle issue

chrcoluk

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 7, 2008
Messages
1,274
Ok I have 2 e-IPS screens.

My trusty dell 2209wa which has excellent viewing angles.

and a new asus VS229HR

info here.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008ON76YS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now when I stand up I notice the following issue.

The picture dims, but its like a bar across the picture. As I stand up the bar starts at the bottom and moves to the top as I get at a higher angle, at a very high angle the bar goes off the top and the picture looks very good at the extreme angle. So its like the in between angle I get the bar effect.

The specs of the monitor arent fully known like the 2209wa due to a lack of any reviews.

I believe it is LED backlit tho (on other sites advertised as LED) and my guess its also a 6 bit panel, since apparently most cheap ips are 6bit now. I doubt the 6bit would cause this effect so I am wondering if its LED related?

Its nowhere near as bad as a TN but is dissapointing somewhat for an ips to have that effect.

thoughts.
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
no comments?

I am wondering if its possible to have high variance on ips panels? The monitor has IPS plastered all over the packaging and on a sticker which I still got attached to the monitor.

IPS - ultra wide viewing angles.

Yet I am wondering if asus have pulled a fast one and stuck a improved TN panel in instead. Or if others seem same effect with LED backlighting.
 
i've seen this effect on some newer e-ips panels, it's just how they are.

it's very unlikely asus secretly switched to tn panels. tn panels are easy to spot, just look for color inversion at high negative viewing angles (looking up from below).
 
yeah when the viewing angle is extreme it looks normal, its the in between it goes a bit off.

So basically you have seen issue on newer e-ips also. thanks.
 
the plot thickens, I took this to a monitor specialist and covered up all the labels of brand, model number etc.

Told him to give my view on panel type, and he shouts TN no doubt.

He showed me some e-IPS he had in stock around same price point and those viewing angles are like my dell 2209wa, yet this asus has the weird issue.

He has ordered one himself now from amazon and is planning to open it up to check the panel inside it.
 
I'm currently still using my dell 2209WA and I actually ordered a U2412M early last year and noticed the same bar that you're talking about. I just think that these new e-ips panels, which are only 6-bit + AFRC, all have this effect (our 2209wa is 8-bit). I returned the U2412M because it wasn't a big upgrade for me, but the bar at non-usual viewing angles was pretty much irrelevant.
 
yeah it isnt TN, I watched a video of a tn example, and I See its a different effect. This new monitor has a bar where its dimmer but the colours stay the same so is different.

Its relevant to me because I know the day will arrive I will have to replace my 2209wa. So IPS is basically now not a guarnatuee of excellent viewing angles anymore if tis becoming common place to have these bar's. I dont think its anything to do with 6 bit colours tho I suspect it may be related to LED backlighting, or they changed something on the newer e-ips panels to cut costs thats causing the ffect.
 
Back
Top