Weird Traffic Flow (Cisco 871)

Karandras

[H]ard|Gawd
I've got this going on at my work network:

Odd%20Traffic%20871.jpg

Our setup is: Telus ADSL 4.0 Server plan -> 5 port switch -> Cisco 871 -> 3Com SS3 48 port -> users

On the 5 port switch there is a computer for testing, the internet is wicked fast through that computer. If we go behind the 871 the internet is sometimes good and a lot of the time it's crap, web pages time out all the time. We just put in the SS3 48 Port so I could monitor the traffic through there to see if something is causing the slowness inside, generating a lot of traffic. I don't see anything that would generate that much traffic. We have 2 VPNs going to client's networks as we monitor a few servers but that won't generate that much traffic (Whats Up Gold [trial], Zenoss and Cacti monitoring through the VPN). CPU and memory on the 871 are normal, I think the CPU spiked to 11% once.

Anyone have any idea on what could cause this. We think that weird traffic flow is the cause of our problems. Any other ideas?

PS - No, we haven't rebooted the 871 yet. Want to see if we can fix it first then try that last.

Thanks.

PSS - This was taken over lunch when no one was in the office.

Set up a monitoring port and do a sniff.

Look at the flows timeline during the spike and go look at the cap to find the culprit.

Could be a fragmentation storm. STP freaking out. Somebody smurfing off the back side of your setup... heck. Anything.

Get wireshark and find out.

Back