• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

weird thermaltake fan prob

xnikx

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Oct 25, 2006
Messages
1,730
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133154
ok im having a weird problem near the top of my case.
at the top their is a 90mm fan and the audio and usb ports. ( i removed these ports because i dont use them and got rid of some wires.

now the problem is with the cover for the ports, u press on it to open and close it.
i like to have it closed, i dont want the cover just sitting up. but when its closed there is a loud humming so i leave it open. any ideas as to why the humming is there?
 
I'd remove the fan, I never used mine when I got my Armor 8003...The opening is just so restrictive that it seems pointless to actually mount a fan there. I found there was little airflow from the fan due to the opening they provided, and it ended up being little more than an addition of more noise than being of any use at all. I find much more airflow through the grill surrounding the ports/fan mount, but then again, I do have the 8003 (the one w/ the 25cm [nay 22cm] fan in the side, in addition to 3 front 120s (all @ 7v; supplied iCage fan & 2xDelta M's for my rad).

[edit] And @ above, in stock form, the fan mount in a holster. It would require modding the mounting for vibration reduction (screw/pads). It's probably vibration cause by a loose mounting (in the holster) in turn causing vibrations in the "clicky" part...Maybe you didn't quite fit the holster in properly when you put it in, which is causing the vibrations? I noticed when I was testing the case that the holster was a bit of a pita to get mounted right (as well as the rear exhaust 120 for some reason). Again, I'd just ditch the fan unless you want to mod the venting area...Also, maybe add a thin bit of tape or something to the prongs to see if it helps at all?
 
i like to have it closed, i dont want the cover just sitting up. but when its closed there is a loud humming so i leave it open. any ideas as to why the humming is there?

It's likely vibrating - if you want it closed all the time, then you can put something into the hinge and such to stop it from vibrating. If the hinge is tight and the vibration is manifesting itself on the opposite side from the hinge, you could put some double sided tape inside to hold it closed - foam double sided tape. That would damp out the vibration.

If the hinge is loose, you could put a dab of sealant or thick glue on it. Rubber glue would be good, as it will stop the vibration and come off relatively easily if you decide you want to use the door again.
 
Back
Top