Weird stutter/tear on X34

B!nd.

Gawd
Sort of out of nowhere I have been getting some stuttering when playing light games like Rocket League and CS:GO. In NV control panel I have Gync enabled and Vsync disabled. I read that Nvidia recommends having Vsync on with Gsync but I don't want the increased input lag. So both games are running with no FPS cap and my monitor running at the OCd 100Hz and it is not smooth. It's not terrible but there seems to be some stuttering going on. As soon as I cap the frames via in-game or rivatuner, I get tearing.

Any idea as to why this may be happening? I'd really like to avoid using Vsync altogether. I also thought that Gsync was suppose to get rid of tearing that occurred when your frames are higher than your refresh rate. When I first set up my PC a few months ago, gameplay was much smoother. I haven't changed any of the settings since. Could it be the OC on the monitor?

If you have Vsync set to off and your framerate goes over 100, then it's like having vsync off on any normal monitor. So yeah, you're going to have some tearing. What I would do is cap your framerate to 98 or 99 so Gsync is on at essentially the max refresh of your monitor, and no extra input lag.

Disable GPU overclock and completely re-install drivers?

GPU isn't OCd. Monitor is. I've reinstalled the drivers a few times.

If you have Vsync set to off and your framerate goes over 100, then it's like having vsync off on any normal monitor. So yeah, you're going to have some tearing. What I would do is cap your framerate to 98 or 99 so Gsync is on at essentially the max refresh of your monitor, and no extra input lag.

I thought Gsync was suppose to prevent tearing though? When I enable an FPS cap I get tearing.

If you have a G-Sync display, the only thing that the V-Sync option in the NVIDIA Control Panel does is set what happens when your framerate is outside the G-Sync range.
If you are capping the framerate to prevent it from going outside the G-Sync range, you have to set it a few frames lower than the maximum refresh rate due to the way that framerate limiters work.
Either use the game's own framerate limiter or RTSS, as those are generally the best options. Just drop it by 1 FPS at a time until it stops tearing, and then you know that it's within the G-Sync range.

What fps are you getting? In the control panel set to fast sync when refresh exceeds the max of the panel. The higher the fps usually less stutter.

Gsync only works within a certain range. 30-100 though you may go under of course won't be a good experience.

If you have a G-Sync display, the only thing that the V-Sync option in the NVIDIA Control Panel does is set what happens when your framerate is outside the G-Sync range.
If you are capping the framerate to prevent it from going outside the G-Sync range, you have to set it a few frames lower than the maximum refresh rate due to the way that framerate limiters work.
Either use the game's own framerate limiter or RTSS, as those are generally the best options. Just drop it by 1 FPS at a time until it stops tearing, and then you know that it's within the G-Sync range.

I set it to 98. That seems to have helped. Thanks.

Use fast Sync in the nvidis control panel for games that have higher fps then your refresh rate.

Question about frame limiters. Back when I had a 60hz monitor there was a "trick" to get rid of vsync input lag where you would use a frame rate limiter set to 59 fps. Doing that, I noticed that microstutter was introduced. Every second or so I would notice a "skip".

I'm wondering if using frame limiters on 100hz+ monitors will introduce the same microstutter? Perhaps not as noticeable due to the high refresh rate.

Back