Weird Startup

ytry2bsafe

n00b
Looking for some advise

When I turned on my machine today and the white screen with the apple logo came up, instead of the normal spinning icon there was a progress bar displayed and the machine took about 2 minutes to start. When the machine finally started it was very slow and spotlight had to index the HDD. There was also significant screen tearing when moving the mouse over the dock. It was shutdown normally the day before (I selected shutdown from the apple menu). There were no updates installed when the machine was shutdown the night before.

When I restarted the machine everything appears to be normal, except Spotlight had to index the HDD. As some one new to the mac is this a sign of HDD problems or something else's. The machine was bought less than 3 weeks ago. Is there some kind of diagnostic utility that I can run?

Specs:
27 Inch iMac (Mid 2011)
Core i5 Quad Core
12 GB DDR3 RAM
Radeon 6970 1GB RAM
Lion 10.7.3

Hey, everyone learns all the time.

That's neat that it's so automated, at the same time, I'd probably backup the harddrive and keep a close eye on it. You've got applecare for 1 year, and if it was something serious, it's likely to show up before then.

If it was a 1 time whoopsie (and we've all had those), well, you have the piece of mind of a good up-to-date backup ;)

Firmware updates use the same progress bar - so it's quite possible it could've been that too?

Back