Weird set of problems with Philips HDTV

requiem99

Supreme [H]ardness
First off it's a Philips 52PFL7403D/27 (as in sig).

Frequently, but not always, I get this weird pink pixel tint thing going on, pretty obvious but it's weird, almost like the tv is missing a color and applying pink in its place (it looks almost like pink shadowing, appearing most frequently in shadows and transparent areas, such as in the drop shadow of a menu in windows). It most frequently pops up when changing resolutions and starting a game (even with same resolution game, if the game does a resolution/display check when starting). I have not noticed it just spontaneously happen, but if it does it is very slow and over time. Pressing the menu button on the tv and switching to HDTV mode, then back to PC Mode removes the problem every single time. Another issue that bugs me is that on loading games it will occasionally lose a lot of picture quality, resulting in an image that looks "embossed", very similar to the few seconds you see when you first turn the TV on (the screen shows low quality image for a second before finishing startup and comes back with the proper image. This is fixed by pressing menu button to bring up the menu, then pressing menu button again to return to the HDMI input signal from my PC. It also fixes the problem every single time, without fail.

It has had both of these problems since I first purchased it in 2009, but as it doesn't affect the actual quality or usage I just have lived with the annoyance of using the remote to fix it every couple of hours.

I have attempted to change HDMI cables to fix this problem but no luck. I have also used a different video card but the screen has the same problem regardless. I have also updated the TV firmware but no change (old firmware circa 2008 is the latest one unfortunately, 1.15).

I do not have a camera capable of taking the high quality pictures necessary to show the problems I have described.

Thanks for any information you guys can provide. Please don't say "call a TV repair technician" because I'm not going to do that until it is necessary. This isn't a "please fix my TV" thread. I can live with it right now just as it is. I'm simply curious about why it is happening, and more specifically, what is happening. If someone has a way to fix it, that would be a bonus, but I'm not expecting it. :)

Last edited:
You could open up the back and doublecheck all cable connections, including ribbon cables. Unplug only the ones that are easily unplugged, then reconnect them, if you have an oxidized connection this will fix it. Just be careful of what you're touching because some of those ribbon cables are easily kinked and some of the parts store a lot of juice.

There is a decent chance that you'll have to replace one of the boards on the inside though.

You may want to start another thread in the AVS LCD forum. You might have to bump your thread once a day till it gets some attention by the technicians that hang out there.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Random bump, no replies on AVS yet. Got another thread about a different problem (unrelated I hope, but could also be a problem with the HDTV) going on here

Back