weird reboot problems, asrock?

demografik

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm having some weird problems. From what I've read, it may be due to the SATAII. Anyway, here goes.

Once I get into Windows, It's pretty stable. The problem is getting there. I usually have to hit the reset button several times to get in. I will get all kinds of weird stuff, here are a few examples:

1. It will get to the Windows loading screen, then go to a black screen and just stay there forever
2. Same as above but it will reboot itself
3. Go to a blue screen after the loading screen, with different codes.
4. Get to the Windows login screen, but give me errors when I try to log in, i.e. "such and such isn't a registered component" or "the domain valhalla [my computer's name] could not be found"

My Opteron is at 2.6 right now, 237x11 with 1:1 ram. This ram is DDR500 so it's actually underclocked. I've stress tested the CPU and ran memtest for around 2 hours with no errors. My hard drive is on the SATAII channel and I've read there may be some problems about that.

I assumed it was just the SATAII causing weird boot problems, but now I went to play CS and it said I didn't have it installed and it needs to install. I was playing the game an hour ago, it was definitely installed. Also I'll get programs randomly crashing occasionally, mostly Firefox. It's not often enough to suspect it's more than just Microsoft's awesome OS.

Any ideas? Specs in sig.

Edit: FYI, I'm using bios 1.4 that the board came with.

Not a good idea to double post, but here's a copy/paste from the ASRock thread:

I'm running my board at 300HTT right now (memory set at 133 to equal 200MHz) and I don't have any stability issues with my WD 250GB drive on the SATA2 channel.

So you have your memory set to 1T? I had to set it to 2T to have it NOT reboot instantly whenever there was a large memory address happening. I lost about 1000MB/s on Sandra, but nothing else seems affected.

Also consider setting your CPU-NB Link Speed to 800MHz in the BIOS. That may be part of the problem.

Tim

Back