Weird RAM issues after a failed stress test. (Resolved)

Hakaba

[H]ard|Gawd
z270 Formula IX
Delidded 7700K (late 16/ early 17), 4.9Ghz
16 Gb Corsair Vengeance 3200
SLI MSI Gaming X 1070

So.... To keep this short I went water to see how much better it was going to be than the Noctua D15. I don’t know how long the system was frozen but I realized that HWMon wasn’t updating anymore before I figured something was wrong. CPU was only 70c unresponsive...
After the stress test failed, I could only boot with 1 out of two sticks of ram. System is stable on a single stick.

Both sticks work fine in other systems and pass short term memory test, however, those sticks do not work on the Asus.

I’ve tried booting off one and lowering the DRAM speed and popping in the second one. I also adjusted the power to 1.35v and popped in the second one to see if it boots. Both of these end in Q code 55 (memory not present) and cycles through soft boots.

Right now I pulled CMOS and unplugged it to see if tomorrow is a better day. Any other suggestions? Because right now I feel like I might have semi nuked my 7700.

TLDR, overclock and/or stress test went bad and now board only boots with a single stick of memory in any slot.

Last edited:
Worst case it sounds like you may have burned out your 7700K's IMC.

I suspect it's just a poor CPU mount though. Double check all the pins behind the chip, and make sure it's properly seated.

I am going to get a loner celeron to test and see if these issues persist and at that time I will check for bent pins. Didn’t check initially since I never pulled the cpu out of socket, just swapped HS for alpha cool block, could have over tighten it though...

Check cooler mounting pressure.. if it's too tightened it can cause that kind of RAM issues, first by not properly socket pin contact (it can even bend couple of those) specially since skylake with the thinner CPU PCB are prone to bending the cpu itself.. (worth to check).. and also extreme cooler pressure can cause issues with the motherboard RAM traces preventing to work together..

Also what software did you used for the stress test?.. I also think it may be a thing of IMC is not entirely uncommon.

I was using an earlier version of prime 95, 2.2x a version without the AVX workloads.

So good to go for now, celeron showed all memory popped the 7700k back in still had memory issues. Pulled it out again and flipped it over; found thermal paste made its way down to a few of the contacts. Cleaned it up and popped it back in and it boots fine, will attach the acool xpx tonight and find my old overclock and go from there.

For thermal paste i tried a line down the middle stopped by a bit before the ends, guess I’ll go back to the dots. Also thank god for soft tubing, made that test so much easier.

Reactions: spine
like this
Back