• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Weird Question: Using PS without a Motherboard

Joined
Dec 18, 2006
Messages
16
I've got an unusual question...

I'd like to use a standard PC ATX power supply to power some things in a project that I'm building. It'll power some lights, some fans, etc. But there is no PC in this build, and therefore no motherboard. So I'm faced with the dillema in how to turn the power supply on if there's no motherboard to handle that function for me.

Can you just use a switch and bridge a couple of the points on the standard motherboard plug and have it work?

If all else fails I'll just use some old motherboard I've got lying around, I'm sure I've got one somewhere. I'll just have to find some place to hide the motherboard.
 
All you need to do is jump the green wire to any black wire and it'll turn on.
 
That is precisely what I needed to know, I just didn't think anyone would actually know what wires to bridge. Thank you.
 
It's something many of us do. It's especially useful when you're testing a water loop w/o turning on the computer.
 
Back
Top