• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Weird problem with X800XL AGP

AdamNesvick

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 18, 2006
Messages
2,373
I have had this card for oh round 4 months now, it exhibits this strange high pitched noise when running any 3d application, please tell me I don't have to RMA it :(
 
Are you saying the video card itself is emitting a noise? I've never encountered that with any card before.

A google search turned up this though:

when 3d load is very high, the video card draws a lot of power.

depending on combination of motherboard, video card and psu there is a chance that a resonance circuit is created in some power regulation coil, which is making a high-pitched sound.
 
Are you sure it's the card? Mine does the exact same thing, but whines whenever the GPU or CPU is stressed. It seems to be the mobo in my case.
 
The GPU fan is throttled. You're probably hearing the fan speed up under load. It does not run very hard under 2d.
 
nope, not the fan, I dicked w/ ati tool to see if that was it, oh well, if the card dies, its just a good reason to get a 1900XT :D

and it could be the MB, oh well, I am willing to tolerate quirks out of my Asrock, as it is rock stable.
 
Back
Top