Weird problem with Wifi signal

boink

n00b
Hi folks,

I've a very odd problem with my wireless connection at home which has been bugging me for a couple of weeks. I'm using a less well known (http://www.prolink2u.com/self/products/wireless/h9300g.php) wifi g router+modem combo which has all the features a normal one would have.

Everything works fine most of the time. But whenever I notice that there's another wifi signal that my notebook or desktop can pickup, my connection to my router is intermittent. Most of the time unconnectable even.

The strange thing here is that the signal quality is very good (in fact it's 90 when I do a iwlist eth1 scanning on my notebook). However, when I try to connect to the router via DHCP in Ubuntu, it just doesn't get connected. It hangs at "Configuring Device" when viewed through KNetworkManager's status popup. Using WinXP, even though it seems connected, it times out when I ping the router.

I suspect that it could be wireless interference. I've changed my wifi channel to not clash with the rest, but it's still happening. I've tried channels 1, 2, 3, 11 and 13.

Anyone has any idea what's going on?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

#1 there are only 3 channels that do not clash with each other 1, 6, and 11

#2 You need to find out what is in the area already. You may be able to use Netstumbler to be able to get an idea of what is already in the area. Once you know choose the one channel (1,6, or 11)with the weakest or no signal.

Back