Weird Problem with Speakers/X-fi

Joined
Feb 19, 2007
Messages
46
Hi,

When I go to 'Sound' in the control panel, and test the speakers, all the speakers play the correct clip 'front left, rear right' etc etc. However, when it plays front right, I also get some of the sound clip w/ distortion through the front center speaker also. This also happens when I test them in the X-Fi software (I have an Xtreme Gamer).

Now when playing music, I also get this distorted sound of the music coming out of the center speaker (but its originally from the right speaker... I guess its just interfearance causing it to go to the center is the best way I can describe it). Now there is also a crackle playing through the center speaker whenever I play a song.

I have just purcahsed some new speakers (Z5500), and I seem to remember it doing this with my previous speakers, however because they weren't very good speakers before, I ignored the problem.

If anyone has an answer to this weird problem please let me know,

Simon
 
Set the card to 5.1
Disconnect speakers. Completely.
Insert headphones into line out 1
Run the test (you should here "front left", "front right")
Now plug the headphones into line out 2
Run the test (you should here "rear left", "rear right")
Now plug the headphones into line out 3
Run the test (you should here just "center" in one headphone)
If that all plays fine, there is some problem with speakers, most likely the center one.
(Maybe you set volume on it too high on the control pod)
Otherwise reinstall sound card drivers and software. I.e uninstall. Completely. Install again.

I saw your other thread on guitar and a sound card.
Guitars do not have line level signal, not exactly.
I am sure you could google out more info on this, but first thing to do is to get a DI box. Alternatively, if you have an amp with line, aux or even headphone out, you can connect this to the line in.

Good Luck
 
Yeah it might be a bitch at first but it will be worth it. I just got a new 5.1 HeadPhone's from Razer and it is awesome. I also Have the X-Fi Xtream Gamer
 
Hi,

I have found out (by accident really) that when I disable the mic settings either in control panel or the X-Fi software, the problem disappears. Obviously this is no way to run my speakers, but it will do temporarily.

This makes me think there is a problem with the mic input on the X-Fi, as regarding my guitar, it was connected through a pre-amp, so there should be no problems, and when I plug my ordinary mic directly into the flexijack and enable all the settings, there is still nothing. What could the problem be?

Simon
 
Back
Top