• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Weird problem with Sapphire Radeon x800

Fonseca

n00b
Joined
May 22, 2005
Messages
4
Hi there,
I'm experiencing a weird problem with this card. My configuration is:

Gigabyte 8I915PDuo i915P
Sapphire Radeon X800
500W PS
1 GB DDR2 Ram

Using the OS vga driver it all works fine, even at high resolutions. When I try to use a Catalyst (even Omega) series driver, the first time it tries to use a 3d funcionality (for example the 3d demo in the redline overclocking utility) the system freezes and I see some strange random colors on the screen, kind of shifted and overlapping coloured vertical stripes all across the screen.

Some times, after a few seconds after the freeze, te system recovers and continues working fine till i try something 3d related.

Any idea?
Bye,
Stefano
 
What driver version are you using?
I've been having a few problems with the latest Cat 5.5's, but have been totally fine with the 5.4's.
Maybe try going back to an earlier one?
MVKTech keeps archives of ATi drivers, if you need them.
address is www.mvktech.net
 
Some news:

I use a low-cost PSU ( Tecnoware 500PRO ), wich outputs 24 A on the 12V line (it seems a little exaggerated to me considering its price..), so I'd exclude a PSU problem, even if the video card behaves like in a PSU failure..

I tried all sorts of drivers, Catalyst 5.2, 5.4, 5.5 and Omega 2.6.25 (Catalyst 5.4). I tried to unplug all except the boot disk and the motherboard, with no fortune.

The video card doesn't require indipendent power, but has a 4 pin connector near the fan wich is unused (you can see it at http://www.sapphiretech.com/awards/image/media_448.jpg -- very big image). The motherboard has a 24 pin connector, but the PSU uses a 20 pin one with a sort of adapter (maybe too low wattage).

Someone has any ideas?
 
Hmm....
Have you got another motherboard/PC you can put this card in? Just to try it out?
If it works in there, it's gotta be you're motherboard.
I don't _think_ it's your power supply, but you would be surprised just how much the X800 series cards can suck down. If you can, do try another PSU, just in case. Plug in the extra power adaptor on the card as well. More juice never hurts, I always say... :D
 
Ok, I got a new Enermax 485 PSU, and the problem was still there. So i RMAd the board for a brand new one, and now it works fine.

So a video card problem.

Thank you all for the help,
bye
 
Back
Top