Weird Problem with Remote Users

djnes

Fully [H]
I'm having a very odd problem with a handful of remote users. Whenever these "affected" few connect to our network (Server 2003 built-in VPN connection), they lose the ability to resolve anything on the network by name. I can't seem to pinpoint the problem, as it only affects a few people, and they don't all use the same ISP. For example, some people with Comcast have no issues, some with Comcast do. I have a laptop I use at home for testing, and I can't duplicate the problem.

If I want to have their documents sync to \\Serv01 (My docs, folder redirection), it fails because it can't find \\Serv01. Now if I send them a link in e-mail to \\1.2.3.4\userfolder, it works fine. I've tried putting our two DNS servers into the IP properties of the VPN connection, but that doesn't seem to make a difference. I'd rather not resort to host files either, because I'd have to make a trip out to each person's home office...and then do it all again if any IPs change.

Any suggestions? All clients are using XP Pro SP2. If I left out any info, let me know. Thanks.

Am I looking past the solution...as in manually editing the hosts file? I was thinking about that last night, and will try it out on my laptop.

What about Fully Qualified names? When the user is connected make sure that whatever your domain is, is in the suffix search order. "Ipconfig /all" a working and non working machine and see what the search order looks like.

FQDN's don't seem to work either. Hmmm...I didn't think to check the suffixes or the orders in the DNS settings.

If FQDN's dont work then I wouldent spend much time on the suffix search order, but it is still worth a look. (I would still do a Ipconfig /all on a working / not working though. You might see something in the DNS / WINS settings...) Have you had anyone do a NS lookup on the simple and FQ name?

No, but that's something I'm planning to do when I got out to visit some of these people.

Back