Weird problem with new SN95G5

robo22

Weaksauce
Just got my sn95g5 and 3200+ today and everything's working fine except for one slight problem. After I installed zonalarm 4.5.538.001 and tried to run it, the comp would just restart itself. Then after the comp restarts and after a couple of mins into windows, it'll restart again since zonealarm loads on bootup. Then I just went into safe mode and uinstalled it and everything went back to normal. I'm running everything at stock with windows xp w/sp 2. I've never had this problem before with my old dfi lanparty and xp 2800+. I've been using the same version of zonealarm for quite some time now since I heard version 5 had all sorts of bugs with it. Does anyone know what might be causing this?

I've got 10+ years working experience with internet service providers and enhanced services and all I can say is zone alarm is shit. you get what you install! sorry but that piece of crap has inundated far too many of my days. why you are still using a software firewall is beyond me in this day an age anyway. quit wasting your time and get some kind of hardware firewall that werks effortlessly.

is the built in XP firewall not working? who knows about the querkyness, could be many things. you have two options, tweak tweak and tweak or if you're sure everything is setup correctly format the buggar and try again...

g'luk

You see that is really kind of funny because I had a laptop at work that did the exact opposite. The windows would not allow any intra net traffic at all unless if Zone alarm was installed on the machine. Needless to say he put it on the machine, then un-installed it for whatever reason, what happened next was that the computer could not access the local network, but could access the internet. Of course the computer was running ME which is a problem right there. Anyway about zone alarm, get rid of it! It is IMHO crap! Also it could be interferring with the built in windows firewall in sp2. I'm not sure but doesn't the SN95G5 have somewhat of a hardware firewall in the nforce3ultra chip set? Not sure on that one, but a buddy of mine won a nforce3ultra mobo at the Hard|OCP workshop @ quakecon and he had one of those.

yeah the older zonealarms had a conflict with 64 bit cpus and sp2. New version didn't seem all that good either so I just ditched it for sygate. It's all good now :)

Back