Weird problem with internet connection - ideas?

Swede88

Lurker
So literally out of the blue I have had some connection issues with my desktop. I have made no hardware changes, software changes, OS updates, etc...

Here's what happens as an example, I wake up the computer from being asleep and I have no desktop internet access. However, the wireless still works fine with any device (tablet, phone, laptop).

The router and modem have the appropriate lights with no indication of errors. Nothing I do actually resolves the issue (reset the router, modem, disable/enable the network adapter, replaced the patch cables, reset the router to defaults, etc...). The connection literally just comes back on spontaneously over some period of time (usually > 20-25 minutes) without any issue.

The problem is if the computer goes back to sleep, then the above will reoccur once I wake it. I have disabled the "sleep" function of the computer and the internet connection hasn't dropped once since doing that (but the computer stays on all the time). This is the error message that displays when clicking on the network icon in the systray - "Local Area Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration.

Any idea what is causing this?

disable power saving option for the network adapter properties?
Ethernet Adapter Properties -> Power Management tab -> uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

Should we presume that the issue only occurs when using sleep, and that when shutting down or reboot the machine, you do not experience the same behavior?

disable power saving option for the network adapter properties?
I actually tried that, sorry forgot to mention it above.

Should we presume that the issue only occurs when using sleep, and that when shutting down or reboot the machine, you do not experience the same behavior?
I shut it down earlier today and after rebooting, the same thing occurred.

Back