• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Weird problem. System just shuts down?

DaLurker

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 23, 2000
Messages
1,681
Weird stuff... whenever I pump the CPU voltage to 1.7 and up, the system, at some point will just shut off, but the power light is still on, which is weird. My specs are in my sig. I've checked the voltages and what not.. they're all fine. Temps when I'm at 1.7 is around 55 under load.

Any ideas?
 
I'd say you have a chip that just doesn't like 1.7v. Even at descent temps the chip could still lock up. Could very well be too that the psu is choking on the higher output, may be why it shuts down but the power light stays on. Try a different psu and see if you get the same result.
 
I have a 2600 mobile that does exactly the same thing. At or above 1.75V the computer shuts down. The reseller eXcaliber refuses to replace it so I'm stuck with a cpu that doesn't really function correctly.
 
Well here's the querest thing. I'd have it at 1.725volts, 2.4ghz and it'd be chugging along, doing memtest86+. 12 hours, 0 fails. Ok... lets tests it in windows. Turn of prime95, then loop 3dmark2k1. Everything's fine. Loop it for 4 hours, no crashes, no lockup, seems stable. Turn off 3dmark2k1. Check my email, surf a bit, and BAM! System just shuts off. WTF? 4 hours of prime and 3dmark and nothing goes wrong but a few minutes of surfing and i'm shut down? Any ideas?
 
deeppow said:
I have a 2600 mobile that does exactly the same thing. At or above 1.75V the computer shuts down. The reseller eXcaliber refuses to replace it so I'm stuck with a cpu that doesn't really function correctly.

I really dont see how you could justify RMAing something that works as intended. Just because it doesnt OC as much as you like doesnt mean theres something wrong. You could always sell it and buy another if you really have to have another 2600.
 
Back
Top