Weird Primary & Secondary DNS Problems

rodsfree

[H]ard|Gawd
Help!!!

My ISP seems to be having some killer weird DNS problems.
I'm with Bellsouth and ma DSL is the fastest package they offer. Problem is that it takes forever to do a DNS lookup.
Once it has the page IP it d/ls quickly...It just takes forever to get the DNS lookup.

I was reading about some public DNS servers that were supposed to be close to the backbone and free for any one to use.
Anyone have any ideas of where they are? I googled but the only things I found were for DNS server offerings for company usages not really for an individual.

Any help is appreciated!

Mods.... If this is the wrong forum - please move. Thanks.

mike2323 said:
The level3.net (Verizon) DNS servers I believe are 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.3.

Thanks....but I don't think that they would appreciate another company's customer using their servers. If the servers would even let me access them, since I'd be coming from a very different IP range.

Plus, those servers are probably in Europe... I'm in the US. L3 is the European part of Verizon isn't it?

Ping time would probably negate any gains I'd see, though maybe not.

The servers I'm trying to find were put up specifically for public, individual DNS lookups.

Thanks again!

Anyone else got an idea?

I found what I was looking for....Public Name Servers
It's called OpenNIC and can be found here

rodsfree said:
Thanks....but I don't think that they would appreciate another company's customer using their servers. If the servers would even let me access them, since I'd be coming from a very different IP range.

Comcast had a bad outage with their own DNS servers. Most of the people who came here asking this same question were all pointed to the Verizon DNS servers I pointed out.

Plus, those servers are probably in Europe... I'm in the US. L3 is the European part of Verizon isn't it?

They're in Colorado which is where L3 is located.

Ping time would probably negate any gains I'd see, though maybe not.

4ms ping times here.

The servers I'm trying to find were put up specifically for public, individual DNS lookups.

You do have a point. Although, if Verizon didn't want people using their name servers for lookup purposes they wouldn't be allowing anyone outside of their owned IP ranges to be accessing them.

Most public facing DNS servers are availible to the public. If I wanted to I could use the DNS servers that my friend runs as his ISP, even though I am not a customer of thier ISP. I doubt they would even notice. DNS looksups don't use much bandwith at all.

When I have been testing our DNS servers here at work I have used others DNS servers to test the results and response times against. Verizon, MW.Net, AT&T, etc.

If you know of a DNS server, it should let anyone query it.

Cool!!!

The reason I thought Level3 was European was that if you go to www.level3.net - the home page only references European Countries.

I'll give those that were listed a try.

I think I've got some DSL modem issues also.

My modem has a router built into it so IT actually does the lookups and passes the info to the computer. The computer thinks that the Primary & Secondary DNS IPs are the same as the modem IP.
I think that I need to bypass that in my computer's network settings and see it I get any gains out of it.

Thanks Again!!

You may also want to look at setting up your own caching or slave-root DNS server at your house. You can do so with typically any version of *NIX or BSD available or you can give TreeWalk DNS a try. Installs on a windows systems (and can be installed on your primary system if you only have one computer, etc.) and is quite easy to setup.

TreeWalk DNS: http://ntcanuck.com/

It's free for educational and home use and has seen me through some tough times with Comcast in the past.

Back