Weird power button or PSU issue

So, this may be easy, but it's pissing me off because I can't figure out which component is the problem.

Here's what's going on. When my computer has been sitting off for a long time (a number of hours), if I press the power button, I get a short surge of power to all the components, but it doesn't start the computer up. Then, if I press it again, I get nothing. But, sometimes, if I'm lucky, the computer starts up.

Yesterday, I took apart the power button and it all looks fine, so I think it's making the connection. That leaves me with the conclusion that it's the PSU. But, I don't have an extra power supply to switch out and test this theory . . . What could be the problem here?

Thanks guys. Any help would be awesome because this is driving me nuts.

I really hope that it's not the power supply, because I have the Neo4 Platinum SLI board that needs a -5V for the onboard soundblaster card and I would be inclined to buy an ATX 12V PSU if I have to get a new onet . . . which would mean I would have to buy a soundcard as well . . .

How old is the power supply?
When did this behavior start?
Do you know your abient temps?
Do you overclock/overvolt?

Power supply isn't old. It's the one in my signature and it's about a year and a half.

I don't overclock.

When I was playing games last night (when I could get it started) the CPU temp was at 44C and the NB was at 41C. Don't know ambient exactly, but there are those. The room is not hot by any means. I think it was about 75F in here yesterday. Actually, come to think of it, yesterday, I was getting crappy performance out of my computer on Dawn of War. It even quit on me after about an hour and a half of playing, saying that an error occurred. Video card not getting enough amps maybe?

This behavior, unfortunately, started while I was away at school and my little brother was using the thing (which is why I thought it was the power button at first because he can be a little rough). I think there may have been some thunderstorms in this area before it started, but I doubt they contributed to this because I have a surge protector.

Thanks.

six hours -

so what do you guys think? Is it the power supply? I don't want to drop the cash without some expert advice from you all.

Back