Weird pixel issue

_PixelNinja

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi there,

I am currently experiencing a curious phenomenon with a pixel on my monitor and I am wondering if anybody could provide some help/input.

There is one pixel on the extreme top left corner on the screen which appears as dead (i.e. white) however it only seems to appear on the desktop when and if I change the wallpaper. Once it appears on the desktop it will not go away. If I move a window to the corner or run, for instance, a browser in full screen the dead pixel effect disappears. If I run a program such as Dead Pixel Buddy it does not show either. The only way to get rid of the issue seems to be to reboot the PC.

Would anybody have any ideas on what might be going on?

what do you mean dead? like a darker patch? the pixels are lit but seems darker than the rest of the panel?

try adjusting your brightness and gamma, how old is the panel? ccfl or led? could be just a stuck pixel? in which case you could try massaging it gently

It is a new TN screen. The pixel is white when the problem occurs. I cannot massage it since it is the pixel in the absolute top left corner.

I'm calling it a weird issue because as I mentioned it will only appear on the desktop. It acts as a dead or stuck pixel but when I verify with stuck pixel applications the concerned pixel will go back to acting as normal.

It sounds like a stuck pixel that only occurs when certain colors are nearby -- I had a monitor like that once. I could only see the stuck pixel if certain colors were in its vicinity, then it turned on ... when certain colors were nowhere near it, it turned back to normal.

You could try one of those flashing pixel thingies and try to get it unstuck.

If that isn't it, not sure what the issue is.

Thank you for the suggestions.

After fiddling around a bit more it seems the issue is software and not hardware related. For instance, if I try to flip the screen (portrait flipped or landscape flipped) in the Nvidia Control Panel the white pixel will flip with the screen.

It boggles my mind as to why the top left pixel goes white on the desktop if I change the wallpaper... At least now I am pretty much sure it is not my screen that responsible for the problem.

Looks like it took me too long to get here. I was going to suggest that something may be starting with windows and the program only remains on your desktop, not "Always on Top", in a micro-window situation. I've seen something like this before but closing the program fixed it. Do the old "msconfig" in your start menu and see what's under your Startup tab. If something you see seems out of the norm, disable it and reboot. Good luck.

There is nothing out of the norm in msconfig. I wanted to see if the problem would appear on a screen capture but it seems it does not. This is frustrating...

After more research I found out this white pixel phenomenon is in fact a known bug in Windows 7. This is not my screenshot but the same thing occurs on my system :

160ob2w.jpg

Apparently this is known issue in Windows 7 that can appear when not having 'Enable Transparency' activated under the Color Options when using an Aero Theme. It seems there is no fix for this other than enabling transparency.

Back