weird patch panel punchdown question

Ruckus

Hardforum Moderator-in-Chief
Staff member
As some of you know i started working with a new company. I am wiring some new ports up to the patch panel for a couple new servers we are bringing into the company. I open the 48 port patch panel to punch down the new lines and it baffled me. the punch downs in the back have 2 sets of 8 punch downs per port, and there is 2 cables running into each port. I have never seen 2 sets for each port what is that and why? if im running a single cat 5 for each port do i use the top or bottom set of 8? I will try to get pics in a second

537470_4239890002526_187227365_n.jpg

179550_4239891402561_1500990162_n.jpg

From what I can see on the top row on the left, the top most set are for port 23 and the ones below are for port 24.

I assume those small numbers are different near each set of 8?

my question is why 2 cables per port? I've never seen that in 16 years of doing this stuff. I noticed port 24 had nothing in it.

my question is why 2 cables per port? I've never seen that in 16 years of doing this stuff. I noticed port 24 had nothing in it.

It's not 2 per port, the top is odd port and bottom is even port, at least that's how it's labeled. The punch down side is much wider then a single port, so it goes two for two. This is normal for the patch panels I've used.

jesus i feel stupid now i see it.

May we all wonder and ask, why you wired it that way ? That's wrong..

It's suppose to go like this so you can use the proper tool...

backofpanelcloseup.jpg

I have done it the way Dash has in the pic, problem I run into some time is when using a wall mount unit it has too much bulk behind to snap into the clip.

Sometimes I strip them all the way to the longest one so i dont have the casing.

I have done it the way Dash has in the pic, problem I run into some time is when using a wall mount unit it has too much bulk behind to snap into the clip.

Sometimes I strip them all the way to the longest one so i dont have the casing.

Ewww. You've been around telco guys too much. I hate it when the insulation is stripped back super far. I believe that's not up to spec either.

]

Going by the OPs post...he said that is what he sees when he opened the patch panel..he took a pic of what he saw. In other words...he didn't do that wiring. Thus...I don't see a need to rag on his work..cuz it's not his work.

It definitely invites cross-talk skinning them back that far. And I have no problems with zip ties on structure cable. If you properly terminate and test the cables there shouldn't be any reason to go back and futz with them.

Going by the OPs post...he said that is what he sees when he opened the patch panel..he took a pic of what he saw. In other words...he didn't do that wiring. Thus...I don't see a need to rag on his work..cuz it's not his work.

Yeah i see that now, my bad.

Wouldn't take much to fix it..

stripping the wire back is a no no too, should be close to the punch down to keep in the twist to eliminate cross talk..

backofpanelcloseup.jpg

yeah I haven't tied anything in yet. Im the new network admin, I didn't do any wiring until today. the 6 weeks ive been here ive been busy working on migrating the entire company from novell to 2008 r2. only reason im wiring today is for the 2 DCs here at this location. Rather not have long patch cables from the servers to the switches, so im running surface boxes to the walls up to the patch panel. Not looking to change existing wiring at this time though cause i already got alot on my plate for the next several months.I'll just make sure my stuff is clean for now.

No more than 1/2" (6.31313131 × 10-5 furlongs) wire (twisted pair) should be un-twisted according to spec. For UTP, I don't believe their is a spec for jacket (or lack of) length. Separating the twisted pairs would actually give better performance, a la CAT 6.
STP probably has guidance on stripped jacket length.
I wouldn't re-do the punch-down in the first pic if it qualified and had no issues.

No more than 1/2" (6.31313131 × 10-5 furlongs) wire (twisted pair) should be un-twisted according to spec. For UTP, I don't believe their is a spec for jacket (or lack of) length. Separating the twisted pairs would actually give better performance, a la CAT 6..

I've never seen a spec for actual jacket length either...it's the length of the untwisted in each pair that counts.

Jacket length is more of a pissing contest for picture posing.

Back