weird noise

zmjone2992

[H]ard|Gawd
I just installed a Corsair HX850W in part because of the weird noises that my HX620 was making. The whole saga began when I switched to i7 and my hx620 began making these weird beeping noises. I rma'd it, received a brand new one, which made the same noises (I am sure they are coming from the psu). The new HX850 is much much quieter (with the beeping) but as I have hyper sensitive ears (think supersense) it is annoying. The link is to the audio file of the beeping (you have to turn your volume up pretty high). Any advice would be helpful.

Link

It's called coil whine, and unfortunately, there's really nothing you can do about it. The good news is that it isn't harmful to your PSU, nor does it indicate that anything is wrong. However, it can be annoying.

What does "coil whine" sound like exactly ? A couple of days ago my PC started to make a really high pitched noise "chatting" noise.. it starts when windows fires up and when 3D is running it's louder and more pronouced. At first I thought it might have been a fan but I've tested all the fans and they are fine. Also tried different video card as well .. nothing seems to fix it. It kind of sounds like a high-pitched version of something stuck in a small fan. When I fire up Catalyst control centre's 3d page where is shows a scene in 3D it's loudest.

What does "coil whine" sound like exactly ? A couple of days ago my PC started to make a really high pitched noise "chatting" noise.. it starts when windows fires up and when 3D is running it's louder and more pronouced. At first I thought it might have been a fan but I've tested all the fans and they are fine. Also tried different video card as well .. nothing seems to fix it. It kind of sounds like a high-pitched version of something stuck in a small fan. When I fire up Catalyst control centre's 3d page where is shows a scene in 3D it's loudest.
It can sound like a high-pitched buzzing, or an intermittent beeping-like sound. It can occur at different pitches, so there isn't really a single description that fits it.

Can't coil noise be silenced with some hot glue? If I remember correctly there had been a thread about fixing "electric noise" or something similar.

You might want to google a bit about using hotglue or something to hold the peice that is making the noise in place, though since it's inside your power supply I would be a bit careful about opening it up, voiding the warrenty and possibly electrocuting yourself.

Can't coil noise be silenced with some hot glue? If I remember correctly there had been a thread about fixing "electric noise" or something similar.
Generally one does not want to void the warranty on their brand new $200 PSU just to stop some coils from vibrating.

Back