Weird network problem just started

Mnx4

[H]ard|Gawd
The set up I have is Verizon Fios wireless router (router 1) and a WRT54G running a DD-WRT in repeater mode (Router 2). Router 1 is both wireless and wired, but router 2 is only wireless and has no wires.
I had it set up in such a way that regardless of which I was connected to, I could access files on my main computer, which is connected only via lan. I started having issues connected to my main computer, couldn't figure out what the problem was. Then I noticed that my main computer was saying it was connected to Router 2, which is impossible since the wireless adapter was disable AND it was connected to the wired router.
I removed the cable from my computer and plugged it into my laptop and shut off the wireless for my laptop. Again, it was reading that it was connected to Router 2 through LAN.

I've reset both routers, factory reset the Verizon Router, shut off Router 2 and tried using router 1 only, updated drivers, /flushdns on both computers. I haven't touched the routers in the past few days. Both of these computers were recently formatted. I had just installed Avast on both computers, and this problem still happens after uninstalling.

TLDR: My lan cable says I'm connected to the wireless only router, even when wireless is disabled.

EDIT: Now it seems to be affecting the entire house that uses the wired connection.

Last edited:
Which router has DHCP? Only one of the routers can be "in charge". Also ensure that the other router has its exit interface pointing at the Verizon router and that NAT is only available on the Verizon part. Your WRT is really acting only as a switch at this point.

DHCP is shut off on the DDWRT router, and since it's in router mode, the NAT is shut off as well. What do you mean by exit interface? Thanks

Your DDWRT is not a router any longer with your topology. It's a switch. The exit interface would be the wireless AP on the DDWRT as it's a repeater. Anything connected to it MUST go through the wireless to get to your Verizon part. It can get awkward to configure it. I had a hell of a time using two wireless routers in the same network myself.

But everything connects just normally like it should and this is just a graphical glitch, or no? I'm thinking that Router 2 is showing up because initially you were transferring files over Router 2 to Router 1 and vice versa, that's why it's showing up. Unless the network isn't functioning it might just be a Windows thing. If it's graphical and just bugs you, DD-WRT forums might be able to see if there is a setting you missed or can configure to fix the issue so long as you post the router config and steps followed/altered from their guides.

Alright, here's what I recommend ([H]'ers, please add to with your experiences):

Let's assume a standard Class C address space (192.168.1.0 / 255.255.255.0)

One router with a repeater (Verizon and WRT parts)

The Verizon part has an admin IP of 192.168.1.1 and the repeater could be 192.168.1.2

Your DHCP address space is set up (example) as 192.168.1.50 through 192.168.1.100 on the Verizon router.

So long as DHCP does NOT assign an address to your repeater, as you have statically assigned it, you should be square. The devices on you network will only see the Verizon router as the exit to the internet and all other devices will be automatically added to the routing tables. You will still be anle to access both routers from your browser as they are on the same subnet.

Thanks for the suggestions. This setup worked fine for about 2 years, so it was weird that it started messing up all of a sudden.

Anyway, I figured it out. The issues related to the entire wired house messing up were a separate incident. I think the verizon router was messing up, giving me "not connected to internet" messages when I was still able to surf. As far as the verizon router being misnamed as the ddwrt router, I don't know what caused it, but it was a simple name change for the router. I was able to fix that by changing the profile name in network settings.

Thanks for the help again!

Back