Weird Network Problem - FINAL ANSWER

Frozen8950

Limp Gawd
OK to everyone who said I gave the business a "BAD NAME" and other stuff about how dumb i was.

I know everyone yelled and bitched and said i need a server and that was the problem.

Well it wasnt.. the problem was a network card was going haywire and transmitting all kinds of random stuff on the network and i took it out and everything has been working fine and peachy.

I will set up a server so he can budget for it, but right now it was a hardware issue and not a network issue.

could you image if i spend 2-3k on a server and win2k3 and it still had the problem because of the faulty $40 NIC.. oh that would of been bad

glad that it was only the nic, but hold one just one sec here, i think it was mentioned that you had ruled that out, unplugged individual computers, and the wireless and they were still having problems, since you tried the wireless and you still experienced problems i think that is why we all suggested the server route, watch what you say before you go accusing us of bitching and yelling

I unplugged all the computers from the network and just had teh wireless on.. that is correct.

im guessing from where the router was and where the computers were that with the constant pinging for 5 minutes.. a wireless network will have some packet loss.. the response times were a little slow as well.

No the server was mentioned way before i had the wireless setup to test if you go back and check the original one you will see.

Im really talking about the one guy that said people like me give the business a bad name just because i know how to build a computer doesnt mean i know how to run a server class network, and that its because i need a server, and thats all there is to it.

I kept asking about hardware info and everyone kept saying i was going about it the wrong way and all that stuff. Im just saying if someone comes here pay attention to what they are asking, dont just blow them off because you think you are superior.

Anyways it was an MSI motherboard, one of the lower grade ones. I wasnt really surprised to see that out of the 5 boards a bought one had a problem.

Just calm yourself down their before you go running around yelling "I told you so". While I'm glad you were able to find the problem, you were the one that came here looking for suggestions because you didn't know the solution. You got some good help and some bad help. Specificlly I mentioned twice running some sort of a sniffer to see what type of traffic was on the wire. That should have shown pretty quickly that one box was chatty.

I'd also still like to know what led you to the bad nic. Thats more what you were doing wrong - diagnosing the problem - because you were kinda grasping at straws.

The bad NIC was in op room 2.

Well what led me to the bad NIC was every computer could see every computer on the network fine and vice versa.

Op room 2 and oproom 3 couldnt ping/see each other on the network at all. Which was very odd. i kind of put that in the back of my mind for awhile as i tested other things.

When i started pinging stuff everything pinged ok for awhile, but i took 3 computers and pinged op room 2 for about 10 minutes. After about 8 minutes it finally had massive time outs and then all the suddon it came back online. The process repeated. Finding that odd i took the same 3 computers and pinged op room 3 for 15 minutes. 100% sucess rate. So i pulled the NIC out of 2 and all the suddon 2 and 3 were seeing each other fine and a 15 minute ping test on both worked perfectly.

Peronally i should of seen that 1st but because WinXP thought the NIC was perfect and it randomnly dropped off and online the 1st week i was messing with the office i thought it was the program. After running a few newtwork programs i realized it was the network because all the program were having problems. It was just too odd for me to believe that a network that small needed a big beefy server.

Now since the dust has settled i have talked with the doctor and we are going with a server but now that we know it was hardware its not a rush delivery type thing and i can read up on it and get whats right and set it up right.

Everyone has been very helpful but i worked my butt off trying to fix that and i did my best to help that doctor out. I care for people there and i wanted to be absolutly sure what the problem was before i told the doctor he needed to spend 3k right there on a server, and i was never convinced it wasnt a hardware problem anyways. Now whoever said i was the type of person who made the IT industry look bad is wrong. Insted of just giving up and making the guy shell out 3k right this second i worked and solved the immediate probelm and was very honest and kept him informed. Its how the person handles it and what he does in a business situation that gives him a bad name. Not his lack of knowlage. Nobody can know every single thing about everything.

I have a 2 year degree (well im in my final project right now) in graphics and simulation.

If you came to me with a problem because your vector calculation was wrong and it was causing your camera to rotate wrong i wouldnt say you were the type of person that gave the game industry a bad name because you made a shitty game. I would help you and hoped that you got it fixed so your client could go on with his business

*gets off soapbox*

Back