Weird Mystery...Need Advice

adamvk

Limp Gawd
My 650i Ultra was recently rma'ed back to me after repairs. I put everything back together, and Windows boots and can do stuff just fine.....Until about 5 minutes into it it crashes, then refuses to boot, not even loading bios. Heres the weird part. I can get my PC to boot just fine again if I take out my 8800GT SC, and replace it with a 10 year old PCI video card.....I'm thinking maybe theres a problem with the pci-e slot? Maybe I should return it back to EVGA? Maybe theres a way to fix it? Comments, help please?

Thanks

maybe you need to update the bios. How on earth would an agp card work in a pci-express slot anyway?

I doubt they repaired your 650i its probably an entirely new board (i.e. different serial number). The likelihood of two boards with same issue is extremely unlikely. Start looking at other crap in your system. The likelihood of two boards same issue is more like a power supply, ram, video, etc...

Lulz that is true wtf. Is this dude waisting our time or what.

I'm sorry...Its a PCI card, not AGP. And its not a PSU issue either.

And yes it is a new board, sorry again. I'm kinda out of it tonight, go easy on me :)

If you're having issues in a similar system I'd start to suspect devices such as hard drives, usb devices, ide devices, power supply, video card, sticks of ram ,etc...

As suggested how do you know its not a psu issue until you try it on another system.

I'm sorry once again, ya perhaps it could be a power issue. Its always been fine before though, what would be causing it to break now? And would that explain why it doesn't always boot?

Ok one thing i need to ask here what was the problem before and why the need for repairs on the board?

Is it possiblle what ever caused the board to go to still giving you problems. like a bad PSU.

It was something with the ram slots, it wasn't recognizing all of my ram. Now it does though.

Sweet
hopefully thats all it was :)

ps Just watching the end of the Beijing Olympics closing ceremony.
Absolutely awesome, I've never before been sad when an Olympics has finished.

Sweet
hopefully thats all it was :)

ps Just watching the end of the Beijing Olympics closing ceremony.
Absolutely awesome, I've never before been sad when an Olympics has finished.

What do you mean hopefully thats all it was?

My pc still doesn't work...:( The ram problem was what was wrong with the mobo before EVGA sent me a new one.

I see, it does suggest something else could be the root of the problems.

Try another PSU, borrow one from a friend.
You can reduce the load on the PSU by unplugging EVERYTHING you dont need to get just basic function.
If this helps, either the PSU cant handle the load or something you unplugged has a fault.

I would also try unplugging everything and reconnecting in case there is a bad connection.

I see, it does suggest something else could be the root of the problems.

Try another PSU, borrow one from a friend.
You can reduce the load on the PSU by unplugging EVERYTHING you dont need to get just basic function.
If this helps, either the PSU cant handle the load or something you unplugged has a fault.

I would also try unplugging everything and reconnecting in case there is a bad connection.

Unfortunately NONE of my friends build PC's even though I keep trying to convince them. They all buy PCs, so I can't borrow any from them. My dad has some, but they are all very old and wouldn't be able to power everything.

I'll also try what you suggested, thanks.

ok have you run memtest a bad slot could have damaged ram.

this doesn't sound like a ram issue, it sounds like a problem with the board, more so then any other item other then PSU, the PSU could be the culprit but I would bet its a bad northbridge or bad PCI-E x16 slot all together, updating the bios might fix your problem in this case.

Are you running with two memory slots filled and have you tried unplugging everything other then essential boot items? Also have you noticed if your fan is spinning up at all?

I've tried updating the bios, now nothing boots, not even bios. :(

Before that however,

I tried every ram configuration, I tried removing all unimportant items, and all of my fans are spinning.

look up BIOS recovery for your board you may be abe to recover it. and if so do a memtest after.

Many odd things happen with ram trust me. test it.

It could be your BIOS was nadgered in the first place, hence the continual problems?

Back