• Great friend of mine with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    https://athleteoftheyear.org/2026/keenan-a856

Weird Memory / Page File Issue

Jeepers

n00b
Joined
Mar 30, 2005
Messages
40
Computer takes forever to boot up. Hard drive goes crazy the hard time.

What we know:
Gateway PC, Intel board, P4 2.8, 2x256 PC2700 RAM, XP Home SP2, 160GB HD
Bios recognizes the two sticks of RAM
Computer/Properties - reflects the 512 RAM
Virtual Memory setting set to System Managed Size
Boots fine, at expected speeds into Safe Mode
Task Manager -
Processes - around 40mb being used
Performance (gets interesting) -
PF Usage - 667mb
Physical Memory (k) - Total 506,000, Available 5000, System Cache 9580
Commit Charge (k) - Total 683,700, Limit 1,180,700, Peak 691,000
Kernel Memory(k) - Total 39336, Paged 31336, Nonpaged 8000
Totals - Handles 5917, Threads 370, Prcoesses 29
CPU usage is little to nothing
As far as we know no new programs installed lately.

What we've done:
System Restore OFF
Full scan with Norton 06
Full scan with Spysweeper
Full scan with Ewido
Disabled all start up entries in MSCONFIG
Reseat RAM
Try with only one stick RAM
Replace with two NEW sticks of RAM
Try old and or new in both banks.
Removed Yahoo Tool Bar

Need to know anything else? Have any ideas? I need the great ones to help me see the light on this please. Why run a memory test, if I get the same problem after replacing both sticks with brand new ones? I ask this before I get a response of "run a memory test". Any help in troubleshooting suggestions are welcome. Know what it is with the information provided please share. Trying to keep from doing an OS Reload and I don't know that that will fix it regardless.

I posted here as I think it is OS related, but could be wrong and its hardware.

Thanks In Advance!
 
Never freakn mind. Posted too soon. It was freakn Zone Alarm. UNinstalled it. All fixed up.
:rolleyes:
 
Jeepers said:
Never freakn mind. Posted too soon. It was freakn Zone Alarm. UNinstalled it. All fixed up.
:rolleyes:

Just use the SP2 firewall. At the host-level outbound filtering doesn't offer any security benefits.
 
Back
Top