Weird issues with my iPod....

Hyper_Psycho

2[H]4U
I have a 40gb 4th gen Ipod that I purchased back in 2004. It still works, no battery issues.

However it does one bizarre thing. When I have it hooked up to any pc, I have to slap it on the back or the side three times for it to begin syncing. Windows and iTunes recognize it but its like there is a force needed to start the hard drive to spin.

Is this a common problem for such an old hard drive? Is it finally time to rest the ipod because the hard drive is failing?

Sounds like a failing HDD, is it making any odd noises or anything?

The only mechanical part of the iPod is the HDD, so if it is responding to force..it must be something wrong with the HDD.

You can buy replacement HDDs online if you want to, but they are usually pretty pricey.

Sounds like a failing HDD, is it making any odd noises or anything?

The only mechanical part of the iPod is the HDD, so if it is responding to force..it must be something wrong with the HDD.

You can buy replacement HDDs online if you want to, but they are usually pretty pricey.

It makes the same sounds as it did when I first got it. No new mechanical sounds that a failing hard drive makes. Should I just try to sell the ipod as is on ebay and get some money out of it? Is there anything I can do so that I dont have a total loss?

Like I said, you can get a replacement HDD. That is pretty much all I can think of.

There are no other mechanical parts that would respond to force in an iPod (it is just all circuits).

are you absolutely *SURE* that you have to slap it to get it to work? IIRC my photo would sometimes take a while to be recognized by windows after plugging it in. if you plug it in and just let it sit, will it eventually be picked up by the windows box? i guess what im getting at is whether or not you being a bit impatient, and you take action right before the thing starts to sync, and therefor it looks like your action causes it to sync.

how many songs does it have? when was the last time it was restored? do you use it often as an external hard drive?

i used mine as a hard drive all the time to transfer recording projects from one computer to another, and that will cause the file system to get messy and slow down the sync start. kinda like the drive needs to be defragged.

are you absolutely *SURE* that you have to slap it to get it to work? IIRC my photo would sometimes take a while to be recognized by windows after plugging it in. if you plug it in and just let it sit, will it eventually be picked up by the windows box? i guess what im getting at is whether or not you being a bit impatient, and you take action right before the thing starts to sync, and therefor it looks like your action causes it to sync.

how many songs does it have? when was the last time it was restored? do you use it often as an external hard drive?

i used mine as a hard drive all the time to transfer recording projects from one computer to another, and that will cause the file system to get messy and slow down the sync start. kinda like the drive needs to be defragged.

i plug it in and windows and winamp recognize it

it has 39## songs on it right now

i restored it yesterday and then prior to that september or so

i use it every single day -- its plugged in the fm charger in my car

i dont use it as an extrnal hard drive although i do manual syncing as itunes is crap

i dont think i ever defragged it
this only happens every now and then
the last time it happened was when amidst a flight

i dunno what to do with it now ... because im afraid its going to break completely

your best bet is to do away with whatever you are using to sync your ipod, and let itunes control it and see if it is recognized easier by the computer. if itunes recognizes it without having to slap it, then it is a problem with whatever software you are using to sync it taking longer than you expect.

if it takes a while with itunes, well you could have a failing hdd. after you have determeined if it is your winamp or whatever you sync it with, you can go back to using it if it doesnt cause any problems.

slapping the thing cant be good for it since it is a hard drive based device. you should really try this out before you do damage it and it does stop working.

ok the ipod died on me today

i was listening to something and then it just shut off ... i hooked it up to a computer... nothing ...

RIP 4th gen 40gb ipod
mar 2005 - jan 2008

nah, im gonna go get a new ipod or something better
i need something to watch movies while i travel or am in the gym

So I went into best buy and looked up my PSP on this ipod ... 14 days left ... awesome ... bye 40 gb ipod ...hello new 5th gen 60gb ipod (hopefully)...

Back