Weird issue with network

pinslammer

n00b
I have a small home network (2 comps plus wii). my computer is fine on the network but my girlfriends is fine for a little bit after turning on but then will "drop off" the network. She is not able to see any of my folders and vice versa. However she still has internet, gets email, etc just can’t see me in my network places. Both comps are running windows xp pro. When it works it works great. This is something fairly new. Has anyone had this happen to them? If so what do I need to do to fix it?

Network
Cable modem > wireless router > gigabit switch > computers

any type of firewalls installed?
tried disabling Windows Firewall if that's what you're using?

Both computers are using windows XP firewalls along with the router firewall. Would that interfere though with file sharing on the network? I need to get this figured out so I can setup a server and have both computers store to it.

well... disable the firewalls on both, temporarily, and see if the issue persists.

that will tell you whether or not it is the issue.

Both computers are using windows XP firewalls along with the router firewall. Would that interfere though with file sharing on the network? I need to get this figured out so I can setup a server and have both computers store to it.

There's no reason to use XP's shitty built-in "Firewall" when you have a NAT router. Just disable that, you'll probably see an end to your problems.

There's no reason to use XP's shitty built-in "Firewall" when you have a NAT router. Just disable that, you'll probably see an end to your problems.

Agreed. One of the first things I do on new OS installs.

OR.

You could just get with the rest of us and install Windows 7. ;)

just turned off the firewall. didn't do anything. she still cant see my computer on the network. internet is perfectly fine. if no one has any ideas i will probably just reformat and install a fresh copy soon.

just turned off the firewall. didn't do anything. she still cant see my computer on the network. internet is perfectly fine. if no one has any ideas i will probably just reformat and install a fresh copy soon.

Define "can't see". If you go to Windows Explorer and type her computer name, do you see it? If so it's just Windows' stupid discovery being broken: save the shares in My Network Places and don't worry about it. If you can't, try the IPs.

Yea, just save shortcuts to, example: "\\servername or if that doesn't work: \\ipaddress

Back