weird issue I noticed with torrents

Red Squirrel

[H]F Junkie
I have a VM dedicated for torrents, and I noticed when I close utorrent, I still see connections in pfsense, regardless of the fact that I closed the app. If I reset the states, I get more connections coming in! If the port is closed how and why are there still connections? What exactly are they connecting to? State is TIME_WAIT:TIME_WAIT. Is this normal?

I have very limited knowledge of BT protocol.. but this is how I understand it. Someone correct me if I wrong.

The connections are probably people being directed to you because another client or tracker has you listed as a source for the torrents your were sharing. Since there's no application to respond to the connection requests, they sit there waiting to time out. It might take a while for your status to propagate through the BT clients and trackers. Until then, you'll keep getting hits.

Your ip still reported to the tracker until the next update. thinking this could be why

Oh, did not figure such connections would actually show up, thought they would just be dropped because the port is no longer open. As a test I tried connecting to an invalid port on my external address and my connection never showed up. does BT do anything different then just a standard TCP connection to a port? I never really studied the deep inner workings of that protocol.

Oh, did not figure such connections would actually show up, thought they would just be dropped because the port is no longer open. As a test I tried connecting to an invalid port on my external address and my connection never showed up. does BT do anything different then just a standard TCP connection to a port? I never really studied the deep inner workings of that protocol.

It could be that the router doesn't know the port no longer has an application to accept the connection request. Where in your test, nothing was ever connected to that port, so it would have been dropped.

I noticed that it's pfsense doing this. Even though the port is no longer available at the destination, it stays open externally. Is there a setting somewhere in pfsense for this? So what's happening is I'm still getting tcp connections coming in and being established. This is not just torrents, I just happened to notice it with torrents as it's the bulk of the traffic.

Back