Weird issue after upgrading GPU

hawk1410

n00b
So i recently upgraded my desktop video card from a Zotac 560 Ti to a Gigabyte Windforce OC GTX 670. But something is not right. Whenever I am playing a game, after some time the screen goes blank for a second or 2 and then either the game stops working(in case of BF3) or I experience serious FPS drops to 10-20fps(In case of Spec Ops The Line). I installed the latest WHQL Nvidia drivers after installing the new card and when I got the problem I did a completely removed all drivers and performed a fresh install of the latest beta drivers but the problem still persists. What could be the issue?
Could it have something to with my PSU as it is not exactly a high quality PSU, it is a CX600V2 with 480W on the 12V rail. I did not think it would be a problem since it ran my 560ti without any problems and the 670 consumes less power than the 560 Ti.

It could be:

1) Drivers just as you mentioned, have you tried the 304 one?
2) Unstable OC (which usually means that it's getting lesser volts). I'd recommend you under clock it to a 670's own stock clocks of a reference card and see if it happens again.
3) PSU, but I think that you're good in that dept.

I agree its prolly teh * beta* drivers bad idea.........use ccleaner to clean out old reg files and never back them up.

I agree its prolly teh * beta* drivers bad idea.........use ccleaner to clean out old reg files and never back them up.

Had the same issue when I was on WHQL drivers

It could be:

1) Drivers just as you mentioned, have you tried the 304 one?
2) Unstable OC (which usually means that it's getting lesser volts). I'd recommend you under clock it to a 670's own stock clocks of a reference card and see if it happens again.
3) PSU, but I think that you're good in that dept.

Will try another version of the drivers. Have tried 301 and 306, not 304. If the OC is unstable isn't that a hardware fault requiring me to RMA since I haven't OCed the card and the OC is just the OC that gigabyte did.

Newest beta's are not so good for me. Try 304.79 beta.

Will try another version of the drivers. Have tried 301 and 306, not 304. If the OC is unstable isn't that a hardware fault requiring me to RMA since I haven't OCed the card and the OC is just the OC that gigabyte did.

That's true. It is certainly gigabytes fault, but right now at your current position, would you really wanna go through the process of RMA'ing it just cuz of lower the clock speeds?

I vote for a clean install of windows at this point. If that doesn't fix it, then off for a RMA

Back