• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Weird Issue - 160GB Seagate SATA

Santos L. Halper

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 11, 2001
Messages
433
Well, I did a fresh install on a 160GB SATA drive last night.

But when I booted from the XP CD and made the main partition for Windows I noticed something odd.

It showed that only 130GB of disk space were available. Now, I've used 160GB Seagates before and usually I had about 149GB of space available.

130 seems really low for a brand new drive.

Any suggestions? :confused:
 
The quickest fix for this is probably to slipstream SP2 onto your XP CD. If you've already done this, call me an idiot. If you haven't, Google for 'SP2 slisptream' or search this forum for it. It's come up and been answered many times.

You may also want to verify that you have the latest drives and BIOS for your SATA host.
 
Santos, have you run the 'DiscWizard2003' utility from the Seagate website? I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but from what I've read, this might be your quickest fix. I'd heard that a portion of the HD space won't be acknowledged unless this utility is run.
 
Im having this problem too.

And i do think its a bios problem. When you put the seagate cd in to get your hdd ready, it asks if your system can recognize hdds bigger than 130GB.

I have to download the latest bios.. but i dont know what to do next.
Will it show the full 160GB after i install the latest bios?
 
I'm about 95% sure of this, but there's always that 5%... XP does not support HDDs with capacties greater than 130GB -- for greater capacity drives, you need SP2 installed. This poses a problem if your WinXP CD does not have SP2 preinstalled, as the installer won't be able to make your partitions greater than 130GB. So, as suggested above, if your install CD is not an SP2 CD, figure out how to slipstream it onto a CDR. Otherwise (ie, your CD is SP2), your drive is probably fuX0r3d.
 
I've been using a 200GB drive since June 2003, long before SP2. Fully formatted with one partition using NTFS.
 
MITCuban said:
I'm about 95% sure of this, but there's always that 5%... XP does not support HDDs with capacties greater than 130GB -- for greater capacity drives, you need SP2 installed. This poses a problem if your WinXP CD does not have SP2 preinstalled, as the installer won't be able to make your partitions greater than 130GB. So, as suggested above, if your install CD is not an SP2 CD, figure out how to slipstream it onto a CDR. Otherwise (ie, your CD is SP2), your drive is probably fuX0r3d.
Thanks, im actually installing sp2 when i get home from work.

Right now im looking for bios updates to install when i get home as well.
 
Back
Top