Weird hardware problem

OldBuzzard

Gawd
I'm having a hardware problem with my system, and THOUGHT it was the video card, but now that I've just installed a new Sapphire 9600XT and the same problem persists, I'm thinking that it's the mainboard.

PROBLEM: When I boot into XP PRO (all updates) it will get to the first splash screen, the bar will move for a bit, and then just before I get the Welcome screen, the system will hang. and I will get INVALID SCAN FREQ. on the monitor. I notice that the HDD activity light will be constant red, like it's still trying to read something.

I can boot into SAFE MODE (where I am now), and even have the display at 1024 x 768 x 32. It just won't boot normally.

This happened just after I had the side off the system and removed and re-installed my LIVE DRIVE for the Audigy 2 SZ sound card that I have.

When I first re-booted after that, I got a message that the BIOS had changed, and my RAM was at 333 instead of 400. I went into the BIOS and reset everything, but the problem persisted.

ATTEMPTED FIXES SO FAR:

1. Flashed the bios on the mainboard (using bios 25 now).

2. Flashed the bios on the original 9500 Pro, just in case it may have been corrupted.

3. Replaced the 9500 Pro with a new 9600XT.

This is DEFINATELY a HARDWARE/BIOS issue.

I use HyperOS2002 which allows me to have multiple INDEPENDENT operating systems, and it happens in all 7 of my XP Pro installations. For more info on HyperOS, go here: www.hyperos2002.com

Also, if I try to boot into one of the 98SE partitions, it gets to 'Loading Windows 98 GUI' and hangs there too, altho I don't get the 'Invalid Scan Freq." message.

Does anyone have any idea on what I can try next??

Back