Weird happenings with my 4870's

Noetic

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a pair of 4870 cards which seem to have suffered strange fates a few weeks apart. The first one began to artifact. Even without a load, it began to run hot. Cleaning the HSF and an application of fresh conductive paste only helped slightly.

the other card was working fine until a slight fan rub caused me to remove and inspect. When I went to replace it, the system would not boot. Unfortunately, I tested it in another system..... and it killed that motherboard as well.

I wouldn't give the second 4870 another shot to kill a system, but I was curious if I might be able to resurrect to first board. Any suggestions?

I tried the baking method with the artifacting card. Sadly, it still overheats to 90+C an then has issues. GPUID indicates that is draws 47Amps and running at 1.28V to the processor. I am not all that sure if that should be happening, especially while I am not running any GPU challenging software.

I tried lowering the speeds with CCC, to no avail.

i'd say they are probably toast, especially if they were the non reference designed cards. if they are still in warranty just rma them even if you replace them at least you will have the RMA'd cards to sell and get some money back.

Back