weird explorer/spyware problem

amit77

Limp Gawd
i was burning a cd and all of a sudden Explorer performs an illegal operation. so i click end now and all that good stuff, but then nothing ever comes back. i'm left with my wall paper and a blank desktop, no start menu or anything like that. i can do the whole ctrl alt del thing and open up stuff and use it to my will as i am right now. the only problem is. i have no desktop or start menu. i found out what's causing it but i can't get rid of it.

its a spyware called:

9CA3A1A7A2AAA8AB

the file is called. 6168666c676f6d.exe
and its located in the startup files of: HKLM:Run

now i went into the registry and deleted everything called that but i still cannot get my start menu and desktop back. anyone kno what to do?

specs are below, its xp pro sp1.

reboot in safe mode... reboot and tap F8 right after bios loads..
locate file and try to delete it.. if it lets you then reboot in normal mode.
If it doesnt run>msconfig, >startup tab> diasable ALL, reboot..
locate file and delete it..
if it wont let you, turn off system restore "start>programs>accessories>system tools>system restore>advanced>turn off system restore on all disks.." .. turn off and take out hard drive of your current machine and run it as a SLAVE drive on another machine, run antiviri/spyware software from other machine and sweep SLAVE drive...

Download all of these programs and run each one while system restore is TURNED OFF.

Spyware Utilies - Xoft, Spy Sweeper, CCleaner, X-Cleaner, CW Shredder, HijackThis
Regestry Utilites - Reg Scrub,
RootKit Utilites - BlackLight, RootKitRevealer

Just type each one in google.com and download all to a cd rom and keep it handy...

and if all that doesn't fix the problem...

bring it to the geek squad, where I will greet you ;)

EDIT::!!!!!!
specs are below, its xp pro sp1.
.. its xp pro sp1.
GET SP2!

If you hit ctrl-alt-del and say "New Task", type "Explorer.exe" and see what happens.

Back