Weird Error With 6800GT

peterbull

n00b
Hi, when I start Half Life 2 I get a weird error with the textures, as shown in the picture below, once the game actually starts its fine, but its still annoying. I have experienced it a couple of times in other games such as Sims 2 and the Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault demo. Everything is running at stock settings. My system spec is as follows:

Pentium 4 2.8GHZ
1024MB PC2700
Galaxy Glacier 6800GT
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
Forceware Version 67.02

half_life_2.JPG

Any ideas?

My card runs at around 60°c when idle and 75°c under load, I tried running it with the side of my case off earlier and it dropped the temperature by about 5-10°. This didn't help though, I have also tried overclocking and underclocking my card without any difference in results.

how are you getting the temps? best way ive found either involves RTHDRIBL in almost full screen, or running rivatuners hardware monitor during gaming so the temps are recorded for a few minutes

I've gotten corruption like that when overclocking to high. I think its just what Digichaos said - overheating. Back off on your overclock (if you are OCing) a bit. If you're not, I'd recommend taking a look at the core and ram cooling, to make sure proper contact is made. It might also be worth slapping on some AS5 on the core, or considering NV Silencer.

For me, I have only seen corruption after playing a game for awhile (and even then only once before I backed off the OC). Does this happen when you play HL2 for a long time too? This would be very strange if it didn't happen at all in-game.

Do you get the corruption right away... all the time? Or does it occur over time?

If it is over time, maybe you should try opening up the side of your case so you could cool it down some and play something with the side of the case off.

I had a similar problem and when I did that I found that I didnt get corruption as often.

Of course it was probably all my fault to begin with, since I installed a 3rd party heatsink and fan on my ATI :)

The corruption happens right away when i start a new game in half life 2 as soon as the g-man appears and disappears as soon as you actually get control. The corruption is centred around the g-man, background images are fine. My card isn't overclocked, however, it came clocked at 370Mhz by default, which I understand is 20Mhz above normal 6800GTs. I've tried dropping it down to 350Mhz but it made no difference. The card also came with a silencer already attached, more details about the card can be found at http://www.gfe.com.hk/news/36/20041013182846.htm. I tried running it with the side off my case earlier, temperatures did drop but i still had the same corruption. Thanks for the advice about Rivatuner, i ran that and it showed that the temperature reached 73°c while the g-man intro was running. I have had it before where it appears after running Sims 2 for a while but never as much as with the half life 2 intro, or as regular.

I had the same problem (although in different parts of the game).

I tried everything from underclocking to different drivers to no avail. The last thing I tried was a vMod, my board supplied AGP 1.5v stock, I increased it to 1.7v (in the BIOS). Since then HL2 runs AWESOME now (very little hitching, no corruption (yet), smotth), I'm still a bit oc'ed 410/1100 on my PNY 6800gt (NV silencer 5 equipped); runs the same tyemps as before the vMOd (53c idle/72c max) on 66.93 drivers.

Hope this helps, also I run HL2 at 1028x768 (down from 1280x1024, not sure if this helped the corruption, but did help the hitching), everything on high (4x AA & AF), vsync on,

How exactly would I go about volt modding my card, i've never done anything like that before.

in the BIOS there should be an option to adjust AGP voltage (along with other voltages, memory, linkage, cpu, etc)..

select that option, press enter and move your agp voltage to the next one up from yours.

Hope it works out for you.

I've had a look in my BIOS under the frequency/voltage section, but I can't find anything to change the agp voltage.

It differs from mobo to mobo. It is controllable through the BIOS in my Asus K8VSEDX, my friends' A8V, my FIC AU13, most of the boards I've ever had to access the BIOS from. I woul check your mobo manual or check the manufacturers website to see if they have any info on adjusting the agp voltage via the BIOS.

your temps are really hot, my GT runs @ 50° idle and 60° load...i would recommend the silencer

Galasy Glacier 6800GT bassicly has qler something like NV5Silencer, right? Then how in the hell can you have that big temperatures? Temperatures are big yes, 60 @ idle. Woa. My Asus, with some small stock qler, has 47C @ idle, running @ 390MHz.

I think this is your GPU? Than it is NV5Silencer on eet already?

6800GT-Galaxy-030.jpg

Yeah thats my graphic card. I know the temperatures in my case aren't particuarly good anyway though, ambient is around 40.

If I were you, I would take qler down, clean the paste and core and stuff, then use AS5, and put qler back on. If that wouldnt work.. im beaten.

Btw, what are you system temps? My are around 40, and gpu is still @ nice low temps.

yeah 60 idle is high, and yes the Galxay runs the same cooler as an NV Silencer 5 (since it IS an NVS5). I would try the using arctic silver 5, see if it helps any.

Strange thing though, why is heat a problem at 75c (his max under load), then these cards run much about the same with stock cooling (like PNY,BFG,eVGA, etc).

You might want to take into consideration that you may not be able to fix this problem, that it may merely be some bunk memory or gpu

I've fixed it :D :D :D , it turns out that my card didn't like that fact that i was splitting the molex connector between that and a hard drive, now i have swapped them over and the connectors are split between my 2 hard drives it works absolutely fine. I saw a warning about it on my graphics card manufacturers web site. Thanks for everyones help anyway. Much appreciated!

lol, good job man. I was going to post and say it looks like memory corruption. I get that when I clock my x800 to around 600Mhz on the memory :)

Back