Weird DNS error?

LateraLex

Limp Gawd
I was using my downstairs computer today, and it appeared the internet died. I rebooted the router, and realized that the internet was still working upstairs. Since then I've rebooted the router and machine a few times. I still am unable to load any webpages. However, I do have uTorrent running, and it is transferring data with no issues. Any ideas? :confused:

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

what about now? try to ping or go online.

dns is screwed in your setup.

ipconfig /all what it say?

I tried, and no luck. I also tried ipconfig /flushdns. I right clicked on the internet icon and selected Disable, then Enable. After a reboot, I'm in the same place.

Under Ipconfig /all which value should I be looking at? Next to DNS - there are currently two IP's listed.

are they the same as another computer on the network?

make sure that machine doesn't have a static ip with some old DNS settings.

winsockxpfix

#1 - when you did an ipconfig /all, did it display "Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes"?
#2 - if no, then this computer has a manually assigned IP address; note the 2 DNS Server IPs on working computer, and put those on non-working machine.
if yes, then start -> run -> cmd
netsh int ip reset reset.log
netsh winsock reset
reboot
try again

What in the...

After rebooting our router for the n-th time today (Internet upstairs went down). I decided to unplug the coax cable for 2-3 minutes. I'm now writing this from downstairs... WEIRD?

no router must be failing =)

keep an eye on it if it keeps happening replace.

Weird, they already have replaced one of our routers (the Linksys combo deals). I've put a call into them, and I believe they are going to come by and drill a direct wire from the pole to the wall drop near our router. I'll also ask that they swap out the router as well.

One time the guy was here, he offered two separate devices: a cable modem and router. Do you have any opinion on whether two separate devices are better than the combo devices?

Weird, they already have replaced one of our routers (the Linksys combo deals). I've put a call into them, and I believe they are going to come by and drill a direct wire from the pole to the wall drop near our router. I'll also ask that they swap out the router as well.

One time the guy was here, he offered two separate devices: a cable modem and router. Do you have any opinion on whether two separate devices are better than the combo devices?

many of the combo devices pretty much suck.
although most of the time you can set those combo devices to bridge mode, so you can still use your own router without double-NAT'ing.

Back