• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

weird display problem with 8800 GTS 640MB

Ktf Fang

Weaksauce
Joined
Jan 15, 2009
Messages
112
So I have an 8800 GTS which has worked wonderfully w/o any problems for the last three years. Then just yesterday, while I was playing League of Legends, my monitor suddenly flickered and there were these lines in the screens (see link for picture). My computer then shut off, then restarted automatically and the problem went away, until today. The lines appeared again while I was just doing normal pc tasks, then comp shuts off and will only boot to the windows login screen and then freezes. The one time I was able to boot to safe mode, I took a pic.

Another weird thing is that only the port on the videocard that works is the one closest to the mobo, the farther one doesn't get signal at all anymore.

I don't have a way to test, but I'm very certain that this is a video card problem. Has anyone encountered anything like this before? Will EVGA honor their lifetime warranty for the card?
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/4690/weirddisplay.jpg
 
Yeah, sounds like it's time to RMA. EVGA should be good with it, as long as you are the original purchaser.
 
:( Video cards don't last forever.

Sounds like a good excuse to upgrade

EVGA will take care of upgrade, they can't send 8800gtx640, so they gonna send something equivalent in modern terms (maybe 250gts but there's no way to predict)
 
Well not RMA for me for a lot of reasons. I'm not the original owner, the serial sticker has been peeled off, and I opened the plastic housing once to get all the dust out. I thought I was out of luck until I tried reflowing it in an oven and it works again. It won't last long but it should buy me some time until I'm ready to upgrade :)
 
Back
Top