Weird computer problem

awdark

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Mar 22, 2003
Messages
1,633
This started after my computer was running funny so I restarted to a Windows Login prompt. Clicking my username did not let me in and was forced to format.

After formatting, the computer was running ok. But it had weird problems like the network, sound, and my serial lcd would freeze or die out on me every 4 hours or so. I would be forced to restart as anything I tried to run would give me errors, running programs continued running though. And I strangely couldnt install speed fan.
To fix it, I tried to reinstall the Nforce2 drivers. With a lot of profanity, I decided to conclude that it was the fault of XP SP2. Ran driver cleaner... computer never started again.

So another format. Whats great is my network still dies out every once in a while, the sound would crash, and just make me miserable. This time I just installed SP1 with XP decided SP2 was evil.. guess it wasnt.

I have absolutely no clue what could be going wrong (as in, I didnt overclock, I didnt tweak recently, I didnt do any hardware experiments)... The southbridge felt a bit warm (I THINK unless I was being shocked... or the digitaldoc5 has shitty thermal probes reading 145F) so I thermal pasted+superglued a nice heatsink on the southbridge.

Any ideas?
This relates to computer #1, I doubt its PSU issue as I have a nice Sparkle 350 in it... better than the old "Just PC" in it. :p I am trying REALLY hard to resist the urge to go target practice on my mobo right now.
 
Oook... strangely enough all my usb devices stopped working except my keyboard/mouse (usb). They will probably work again after I reboot though.

Does this help in figuring out whats going on?
 
Back
Top