Weird Computer Issue

Kuromizu

Gawd
Ok, this is kind of a weird one for me.

I've been working on this old emachine for a woman down the street and I finally got it running but it's acting a bit strange.

She called me up today and said it tells her she has "no boot disk". Now, I know I was just there and had windows XP boot up. So I go there, turn it on. and boot up normally. So I make sure everything else is working. I turned it off and on a few times, everything was normal.

I left and an hour later she calls me back. "It's a black screen that says "no boot disk" on it".
She says she didn't turn it of/restart or anything. I'm trying to get a handle on what's wrong here.

I can't get a handle on it because I'm never there when something goes wrong.

It's a 3100+ sempron with 256 mb ram and a 100gb IDE HDD. Integrated sound, network, and graphics (chrome s3 I think).

Any ideas? Is it possible that her PSU is shutting down and resetting her boot settings? I'm sure the hard drive has a recovery partition (but that should also be bootable). Maybe her PSU and the motherboard batter are both hosed. I don't know anymore lol.

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

Its very possible that the PSU is dying. eMachines are notorious for failing PSUs that take out other parts, particularly mobos. Though, I'm not sure what her issue is. Is she putting a disk in the floppy drive or something? lol.

Yeah, I checked that too. There's nothing in the drives at all. And if she enjoys my company I wish should would start cooking for me lol.

long shot..... does she happen to still use floppy's. i worked on a computer once that had a floppy drive that would think it had a floppy sometimes. i just unpluged the cable as the person didn't use it. took forever to narrow down even though it was simple!

From my experience i would just replace the IDE cable to the drive

Back