• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Weird Clicking Noise on Format

Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
2,881
No this isn't intermittent hard drive failure... or at least I don' t think it will be. I just got a 500 GB SATA Western Digital hard drive, and had trouble formatting/installing out of the box with the Windows XP installation disc. The problem went as far as having me to format it through Windows on another drive (the Windows installation would just freeze when it "Checks for previous versions of Windows").

Anyway, towards the very end of a long full format, the drive began to make several consecutive clicking noises very similar to ones you hear from intermittent hard drive failure. It just wasn't nearly as painful to hear (they were soft, repeating clicks). I don't know if its something harmless, but it lasted all the way until the format completed; the clicks lasted for about 2-3 minutes. :eek:

It seems fine now, but now I'm a little cautious on the reliability of the drive. This has never occured before. Should I be worried?
 
Update: Problem solved, this drive is a defect. :( I formatted/installed XP on a 250 GB drive I bought at the same time, and everything went perfectly. Time for an RMA.
 
Yep, I was gonna say start digging the grave :)
 
that sucks to hear a brand new piece of...*drool*. sorry, hardware failed on you.
 
Back
Top