weird 2405-

Minotaar

Weaksauce
Just got a 2405. Looks great. However, I've noticed, every now and then (every few weeks) a few pixels, all on the same row, will get spazzy. They flicker at a high frequency. I dont think this is the monitor, because I dont think the pixels are related in that way. On the other hand, i suspect that the DVI might be having issues. Is that even possible? Its not the entire row - its like a short dash about an inch long, with pixels flickering. This goes away pretty quickly, and then I might see it again a week later.

An ideas?

My best guess would be that it is the panel, or the chip driving the panel. Large displays (or maybe all displays) use a matrix of horizontal x vertical lines, so maybe the panel has an intermittent connection to what controls on horizontal line X....

(I was going to explain the matrix, but then decided not to insult anyone's intelligence, or my own explaining ability.)

I'm hoping I'm wrong and that you can solve your issue. Keep us posted.

Its definitely not enough to get me to return the monitor - Im too attached to it now to be able to part with it for even a little while. Its not as annoying as bad backlighting or pixels, which i am fortunate to not have, since this goes away for a few weeks, and then appears for a second, and is gone again.

EDIT:

ok I jsut saw it again. its a single line of pixels where the pixels are shifted right by one pixel. it flickers between the correct alignment and the shifted alignment.You only really notice it if you have a screen full of small text (like me) and you are reading it without scrolling much.

Are you using the dvi or d-sub input? If you're using d-sub input, try autoadjusting or manually adjusting the phase (under image settings).

Minotaar said:
Its definitely not enough to get me to return the monitor - Im too attached to it now to be able to part with it for even a little while. Its not as annoying as bad backlighting or pixels, which i am fortunate to not have, since this goes away for a few weeks, and then appears for a second, and is gone again.

EDIT:

ok I jsut saw it again. its a single line of pixels where the pixels are shifted right by one pixel. it flickers between the correct alignment and the shifted alignment.You only really notice it if you have a screen full of small text (like me) and you are reading it without scrolling much.

If you call Dell and get a replacement, they send you the replacement, then when you get the replacement, you send it back, so you are never without your hardware.

I used to get this with my ATI9700, its most probably the video card not able to cope with doing the full 1920x1200 res. What card have you got?

I've got an evga 6800GT, and Im connected via single link DVI, on the dell-provided cable.

I should note, the flickering line does not go accross the whole screen, its only about an inch or two long, and the entire phenomina occurs pretty rarely.

Im a little afraid of sending it back because the backlighting is nearly perfectly even, and there arent any dead pixels.

does the 2405 support a dual link cable? Im 100% sure the issue is a digital only issue - I guess I could test it on d-sub, and see if it still happens, so I can isolate if its in the monitor or not.

Thanks for the info regarding the crossshipment from dell. Good to hear.

Back