Weemote Crushed By Wiimote, Nintendo Not Buying It

HardOCP News

[H] News
Of all the rotten luck. A small company has fallen on hard times since the launch of the Wii console. It seems the company’s product is called the Weemote and since the Wii came out…sales of their product have tanked. The company wants Nintendo to buy the rights for the name, Nintendo is not interested.

The Weemote is a nifty television remote control specially designed for little kids that lets parents limit the channels their children surf. It was trademarked in 2000, long before the Wii debuted, which means the commercial use of the Wiimote moniker technically infringes on the Weemote brand.

So is this a case of a company not riding the "sue your ass" bandwagon and are being sneered at by the company that is infringin on them?

Its always been my dream to be bought out by a megacorporation for a lot of money.

The Weemote guys should just refer to Nintendo as a "Monster" of a company. Then let Monster Cable's lawyers handle the rest.

I have never seen any package from Nintendo which calls it the Wiimote. Last I've seen the packaging it is called the Wii Remote.

Wiimote is just a nickname given to it by the gaming community. They are a bunch of morons if they think they'll get anything out of this.

Ummm, hello? Isn't that EVERYONE'S dream? :D

Not mine. I'd have to somehow obtain something of value to the corporation. That sounds like work.

My dream is to have a major corporation decide they want to give me a whole lot of money for no reason.

What does the Nintendo/Wiimote have to do with this company tanking? I smell bullshit.

Aw, crap. "The Nintendo". LOL @ me. Why isn't there a edit button in this section?

Darn it, I hadn't even thought about that....

I HAVE a Weemote, bought by her godmother for my (now 8 year old) daughter when she was 4. It's a VERY nice remote for kids, as you can program in up to 4 cycles of 4 channels each (so, the cartoon channels, the educational channels, the Football channels, the kid safe movie channels) and she was able to use it readily to turn the TV on, do volume, toggle to specific channels, mute, and to go up/down in channels (no specific "Goto Channel 29" capability). It's also sized well for little hands.

And yes, the Football channels are (partially) for me.. the real remote kept disappearing.... but hey, she's a fan, too.

I also have a Wiimote, since my 19 year old son bought a Wii and hooked it up to that TV. He's giving it to his little sister (he's played almost every game he was interested in; he prefers the 360 for most games). So now, she has a Wee and Wii.

But so far, there hasn't been any confusion when asking for the W(ee|ii)motes.

To the makers of the Weemote

Congratulations on being one of the very few companies to actually seek out a solution that is mutually beneficial before trying to sue the crap out of Nintendo.

To the makers of the Weemote

Congratulations on being one of the very few companies to actually seek out a solution that is mutually beneficial before trying to sue the crap out of Nintendo.

Probably has something to do with the fact that they have no valid complaint whatsoever.

Wiimote is a nickname used by the customers. Nintendo has only ever sold "Wii Remotes". There isn't the slightest hint of infringement.

It's not surprising Nintendo would not be interested in spending money a failed product.

Weemote = fail long before the Wii ever even existed. Talk about a frivolous lawsuit.:rolleyes:

Probably has something to do with the fact that they have no valid complaint whatsoever.

Wiimote is a nickname used by the customers. Nintendo has only ever sold "Wii Remotes". There isn't the slightest hint of infringement.

That doen't stop most people from sueing :p

Again I commend the fact they they want to find a solution, and niot just go randomly sueing anyone who use the word "Monster" or "Pod"

Personally, I'd sue Nintendo. Nintendo is so quick to claim unique and sue the pants of others, you can bet your ass if the tables are turned this company would have been out of business already.

Personally, I'd sue Nintendo. Nintendo is so quick to claim unique and sue the pants of others, you can bet your ass if the tables are turned this company would have been out of business already.

I'd like to see you try.

You'd get your ass handed to you in court and have to pay all the legal fees.

I'd like to see you try.

You'd get your ass handed to you in court and have to pay all the legal fees.

LOL. Keep thinking so.

Take this case to Texas and you've got a 50/50 shot.

NO court will side with you.

Nintendo has never called it the Wiimote. Are you going to sue Nintendo's customers for them giving it that nickname?

I don't understand what the problem is. Wii and Wee may sound alike, but so what? Oui sounds the same as well. How can it infringe when it's spelled differently? Besides if most sales are online, then how it's pronounced should not be important unless you use voice recognition software to google.

You guys are missing the big problem that the Weemote people face:

Nintendo has never called the Wii Remote "Wiimote". None of their press releases call it the Wiimote. Their packaging doesn't refer to it as the Wiimote, either. Nor do their manuals.

They can't be sued for use of the term "Wiimote" because they don't use it. And "Wii Remote" is pretty distinct from "Weemote".

Ummm, hello? Isn't that EVERYONE'S dream? :D

You guys are missing the big problem that the Weemote people face:

Nintendo has never called the Wii Remote "Wiimote". None of their press releases call it the Wiimote. Their packaging doesn't refer to it as the Wiimote, either. Nor do their manuals.

They can't be sued for use of the term "Wiimote" because they don't use it. And "Wii Remote" is pretty distinct from "Weemote".

Nail -> Head

What is this, the 70's? No one uses those anymore. I can barely be arsed to lean forward to grab the remote off the coffee table.

Maybe, but when the point of the weemote is to prevent kids from going to channels they shouldn't be on, those buttons completely eliminate the usefulness of the weemote.

Maybe, but when the point of the weemote is to prevent kids from going to channels they shouldn't be on, those buttons completely eliminate the usefulness of the weemote.

When you consider this is for smaller children, it could still provide a someprotection. My sister has a 2 and a 3 year old. They know how to turn the tv on and thats about all they know how to do. If they had a remote like this they could learn that pressing this button gives them one of their shows, the other is another show... They wouldn't really know what they were doing or that they could change channels on the directv/cable box, but they would still be able to change the channel and maybe accidently find what they want. That would keep them from using a real remotte to accidently find stuff they shouldn't be finding.

This isn't really meant for children who are the age of being able to fully know what they are doing and how to change channels. When you children get to that age that is when you start using the parental blocks. Although stuff like that is another thing that makes this useless. You can block stuff already on the tv, you can hide the remotte,.. There are so many other things that can be done and make it so that you don't have to get this device.

What is this, the 70's? No one uses those anymore. I can barely be arsed to lean forward to grab the remote off the coffee table.

lol to this comment. I would say that children are less lazy but sadly these days children tend to be more lazy than adults when it comes to getting up off their ass.

Back